Odd findings while scouting.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Odd findings while scouting.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:43 am

Hi everyone been a long time since ive posted.
I have been scouting very heavily since mid January and have come across a few odd unexplained situations.

I have in several areas found beds off lee slopes but in the drainages lowest elevation. Why are these buck beds here their also is very few if no rubs near these beds.

Im confused by them are these where these bucks bed in very high winds or bed low because of a leg injury?

I found in a area i hunt beds on lee side slopes with no rubs in the beds or near. It is on a lee point above a large pine thicket. I have seen a large 8 point cross the road from this bedding area. Im positive these are buck beds. . So why the lack of sign in this core area?

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Odd findings while scouting.

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:20 am

I think Dan and others have said you won't always find sign like rubs in bedding areas and when you do it can be because there is competition for that bed.

Also I think some bucks like rubbing only certain trees. If those trees don't exist in the bedding area then he may not rub there.

As for the bedding low in the draws, are you sure those are buck beds? Did you measure them to see how big they are? I've seen does bed like that. If you're sure it's a buck it could be to get out of wind...maybe a rut bed too? I jumped a huge 10 bedded one year low. He still had an advantage but he was much lower. I guess he was monitoring does because of where it was. Also is there a food source like a field nearby? Could be a nighttime bed coming off the field. They're like cows and will lay down and chew their cud.
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Odd findings while scouting.

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:52 am

Is the pine area the same place as the low bedding you asked about or are they separate spots and questions? It is true, some of the best areas in the woods have little buck sign to show. They will bed in draws, but the best ones iv found seem to be top 1/3 and less dramatic of a draw or cut. Is there a transition, field, or bluff above the bed giving him a reason to bed low? If its that pine thicket, he is probably laying there smelling everything up wind and lack of sign could mean he beds everywhere in the pines.
I agree w checkerfred it could be doe, young buck, rut, or high wind bedding... maybe even a secondary bed. For me the bottoms it get tricky bc the wind isn't the same as the tops in a lot of cases and swirling. Maybe you did find something special and its a rock solid mature buck bed, I say trust your gut and the sign just decide if its worth observation, trail cam, or throwing a set at it. If something keeps you thinking about the spot, I would go back and search the area for tracks or large sized scat.
Sorry if this doesn't help, maybe I misunderstood the questions...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”