Boots on the ground after scouting workshop

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ScottRejholec

Boots on the ground after scouting workshop

Unread postby ScottRejholec » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:42 am

Recently attended the scouting workshop and put some of the scouting methods to work. I pushed further into the cattails and found some good stuff. In particular I found a buck bed with rubs in it. The bed is in a thick willow patch that is surrounded by a sea of cattails. He has a trail that runs to a small hardwood island with a solid rub line on the edge. The island is 225 yards away from the willow patch. The closest standing tree (which also looks as though it could be used as a bedding spot) to the willow patch is 140 yards away, and is 85 yards off the edge of the island.

I have 3 questions.
First, with the rub in his bed and a rub line where he enters the oak island, would it be best to hunt this spot in the rut? Or would it still be a legitimate spot in early season due to the oaks?
Second, if I were to hunt it in the early season do you think he is bedding closer to the island, possibly under the tree I am thinking of setting up in, and then backing into that willow patch during the rut? Or have you seen bucks using a rubbed up bed the whole season?
Lastly, I feel like that the only tree to sit in is too far from his bed (140 yards). If in fact he is bedding in that willow patch, should I look into cutting out a shooting lane in the cattails maybe 75 yards away from his bed and set up an ambush spot?

Thanks for the input.

The harder you work, the luckier you get.
hunter_mike

Re: Boots on the ground after scouting workshop

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:01 am

Sweet! 8-) With the rubline on the edge of the hardwoods being so related to that particular bedding area, do you think you could check on the rubline a few different times throughout the season to see when it opens up with fresh rubs? Maybe even check on it from a distance with binoculars without even treading on it? I have been done similar things in an area like what you are describing. I think the hardest part would be actually hunting such a bedding area, I think that was discussed at the scouting workshop.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
ScottRejholec

Unread postby ScottRejholec » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:12 am

Good idea. I would definitely be able to stay far enough away and view the rubs with binocs. I feel like it would be a great early season spot if the oaks are dropping good this year, but I don't want to push the spot if he's not going to make it to the island before dark. Were you just viewing the rub line and then backing out? Or did you sit in observation stands?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:40 am

I found a similar area scouting this year. The only difference is he's bedding in the small clump of cedars that are only 100 yards from the island. And not alot of rubbing on the island. I picked out a tree on the edge of the island with visibility to the bedding area. I'm hoping he uses the island as a staging area once the oaks start dropping, before heading to the crop fields which is 250 yards on the other side of the island. I'm going to sit it once the oaks start dropping and see what happens.

If you can sit the island early in an observation stand, hopefully you'll be able to see how he's moving. Then if he's not getting their in time or using a different route, you can still set-up an ambush spot in the cats on the route he's using.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:50 am

ScottRejholec wrote:Good idea. I would definitely be able to stay far enough away and view the rubs with binocs. I feel like it would be a great early season spot if the oaks are dropping good this year, but I don't want to push the spot if he's not going to make it to the island before dark. Were you just viewing the rub line and then backing out? Or did you sit in observation stands?

This was a bedding area similar to what you are describing and the rubs were up on the mainland. I didnt get an opportunity to check the rubs multiple times through the season, which would be really cool to do. But I did check on the rubs before I hunted the bedding though. The rubs were there in the same spot as they were the spring before. This hunt was mid november during gun season so although I did take note of the time of year, it doesnt narrow the timeline down too much. If I try to hunt this spot earlier in the year I will check those rubs again. And for the record we walked through the bedding area and a few does and a medium sized buck ran out.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:08 am

I'd try an outside in approach. Don't be afraid to set up in the cattails, on the ground after you have a good idea what the buck's tendencies are. Cut two lanes- one to see the buck coming and the other to shoot him quartering away. I'd suggest picking a windy day to do this cuz it covers your noise coming in and it keeps the skeeters off you.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:25 am

I would try the island early season and then rut. I could see him making it there if the island is low pressure. If he don't make it, I would think about getting closer, and maybe in the cattails, but thats pretty disturbing to the deer, so I would try the island 1st.
ScottRejholec

Unread postby ScottRejholec » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:59 pm

Here's a look at the area. Yellow is bed, blue is possible stand set up, and red is rub line. Would you say I set up in that tree, or back off to the edge by the rub line in the early season to use as an observation stand?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”