Trying to track down a monster

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Blue Ridge

Re: Trying to track down a monster

Unread postby Blue Ridge » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:57 am

Dominate wind direction(s)?

Ozarkian

Unread postby Ozarkian » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:23 am

Dominate winds is westerly
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:52 am

I think the point under the 'o and t' of Scott would be a good safe area for a buck.

The small bench facing north would help him and when he drops into the creek below the surrounding draws will give a thermal hub. He could smell a huge area from one position.

That shed must be impressive.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Ozarkian

Unread postby Ozarkian » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:31 am

I hadn't ventured over to that ridge yet. But will definitely give it a look. The shed is impressive. It's beyond rare for a buck to grow that size in my area of the country.

rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:37 am

it looks like there is a small creek to the south with some attaching draws running vertical North and south on the map. I would walk the leeward (east) side of each of those draws, walk along the "military crest" of the hillside. And also the slopes along the river to the eastern portion. Look very close on those slopes where they turn into points or "spurs". I see a few points that look nice on there.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:00 am

Ozarkian wrote:Looking for some insight. I've been scouting some public land near my home. A friend recently found a 4 point shed that scored 79" I've been burning leather working on finding his beds but haven't had a lot of luck. I was hoping you all could suggest some areas to check. I've attached two photos one is out lined with property boundaries and also has three red dots to show the area the shed was found. The shed was found in a field along the big bluff on the north side. I've also been using caltopo to help with my scouting. Thanks for any help.

Do yourself a favor and color over any names of creeks or counties on your topo map that could give away your location.
Ozarkian

Unread postby Ozarkian » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:20 am

[quote="Ozarkian"]Looking for some insight. I've been scouting some public land near my home. A friend recently found a 4 point shed that scored 79" I've been burning leather working on finding his beds but haven't had a lot of luck. I was hoping you all could suggest some areas to check. I've attached two photos one is out lined with property boundaries and also has three red dots to show the area the shed was found. The shed was found in a field along the big bluff on the north side. I've also been using caltopo to help with my scouting. Thanks for any help.

thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:22 am

Josh_S wrote:Do yourself a favor and color over any names of creeks or counties on your topo map that could give away your location.

Seconded. It's way too easy to figure this stuff out with a few context clues unfortunately. I'm not sure we can edit posts anymore after the upgrade. May have to go delete your pics from your hosting site to get the initial ones to go away.
Ozarkian

Unread postby Ozarkian » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:41 am

I deleted the photos from the host site but they still show up. And we can't edit or delete posts. So I guess they pictures will stay.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Ozarkian wrote:I deleted the photos from the host site but they still show up. And we can't edit or delete posts. So I guess they pictures will stay.

I cant see the pics any longer and could this morning so I think you're good. That land had a ton of points to scout, I'd check all of them. That deer is worth the effort. Good luck!
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:26 am

Post up a Caltopo screenshot (hit CTRL and Print) then take it to paint and block out any names/roads.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Ozarkian

Unread postby Ozarkian » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:40 am

Ok here are the pictures guys.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”