Scouting: The Significance of Poop

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Scouting: The Significance of Poop

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:32 pm

wolverinebuckman wrote:I figured this would be a good thread to throw this question in to.
While scouting today, I found around some bedding these long (3-5", some longer) clumps of deer hair all smashed up and poop shaped....like big Dingle berries.
The hair was obviously deer, has anyone seen these? Are the deer licking themselves while shedding? Is it poop from a coyote that ate a deer? I'm baffled :think:
There was no actual brown poo, just poo shaped hair. Sorry, no pictures.

Coyote poop

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:34 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
wolverinebuckman wrote:I figured this would be a good thread to throw this question in to.
While scouting today, I found around some bedding these long (3-5", some longer) clumps of deer hair all smashed up and poop shaped....like big Dingle berries.
The hair was obviously deer, has anyone seen these? Are the deer licking themselves while shedding? Is it poop from a coyote that ate a deer? I'm baffled :think:
There was no actual brown poo, just poo shaped hair. Sorry, no pictures.

Coyote poop

Thanks Hawthorne!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Sat May 05, 2018 6:18 pm

checkerfred wrote:I've noticed hunting the local refuge that when I hit doe poop, if I want to kill any deer, I better setup there. Past several times I've not done that I've bumped deer from about 30-60 yards

How did I know you’d have some input on this...lol. Finding poop in Bankhead is like finding a golden nugget. You’ve got something worth some money. We hit the mother load this year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”