Day 6 Plotwatcher

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Day 6 Plotwatcher

Unread postby wappkid » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:44 pm

Have any of you seen these? If so what do you think?

http://www.cabelas.com/trail-cameras-da ... ra-3.shtml

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Day 6 Plotwatcher

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:18 pm

Maybe hit Bucky up....think I remember he or one of his buds have one.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:33 pm

They seem to be limited in use by daylight use only.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:27 am

wappkid - I'm a fan! They are daylight only though. Sometimes a heavy dew in the AM fogs the lense as well. But they are nice for watching deer work through a particular area. (Where did they come from, what trail to they leave on, ect). I discussed on a previous post how I like to set them up at a distance 50-75 yards from a target area so I don't have to walk directly to the spot I would like to hunt and check a camera - works well on field edges, CRP, mature woods. Any other ?s let me know, my buddy and I both used all season without any problems.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
wappkid

Unread postby wappkid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:09 am

Thanks. How is battery life and can you use lithium batteries with them? How do rechargeable batteries hold up?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:25 am

The USB drives fill up after about 8 days of use (the largest they recommend using)... they take a photo every 5-10 seconds all day long. So that is another limiting factor (duration your able to leave them out). But I use them more on food sources when I think the food source is getting to be primo for hunting. It is esentially like sitting off in the distance (100 yards) and watching a field almost nightly. Granted at 100 yards you can't see all the detail of the rack like a trail camera, but you instead get to see if they are getting there during daylight, where the deer are coming into the field on repeated basis, how they feed through, and where they exit. U can use lithium batteries, but the USB drive will fill before your batteries are shot in most instances. I called about using larger USB drives but the company said it could cause problems with the camera...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:03 pm

Sounds pretty awesome to me. I'm not a big fan of having to have my trail cams right in a deers face to get a good picture. Is picture quality decent? If I was gonna spend the money on another trail cam I'd definitely consider one of those, just another neat toy.
wappkid

Unread postby wappkid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:35 pm

I am considering getting a few .I have enough trail cams.I think it would be great to be able to scout a few different places at one time.These might end up working better than the trail cams.Honestly it's great having the night time pics but I would rather see what is actually going on in the daytime.What I here about them is that you can set them on high res. 1080p or a low res. setting.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:24 pm

wappkid wrote:I am considering getting a few .I have enough trail cams.I think it would be great to be able to scout a few different places at one time.These might end up working better than the trail cams.Honestly it's great having the night time pics but I would rather see what is actually going on in the daytime.What I here about them is that you can set them on high res. 1080p or a low res. setting.

Exactly! They provide much more valuable info that trail cameras (direction of travel, day light movement = what I'm looking for, show deer to deer interaction - it is like watching a choppy video, plus they catch things with the wide viewing angle and depth that a trail camera cannot + I have seen more than one 3 1/2 + buck walk right around a trail camera aimed at a trail to avoid getting a picture taken. I like both don't get me wrong, but this camera has a whole new set of scouting capabilities. Most of my family thinks I'm nutz for how documented I have some whitetails. I'm sure a few here can relate... :lol:
wappkid

Unread postby wappkid » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:53 pm

I am a whitetail fanatic too. I called and talked to a tech at plotwatcher and they are great. They talked and answered my questions for 10 minutes.Can't wait to get some of these babies to try out.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:00 am

Here is a link, in the right situation, I think it could provide some neat info.
http://www.day6outdoors.com/?gclid=CPbe ... KgodgzIcmw

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”