Previous wind direction and post season scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbunao
500 Club

Previous wind direction and post season scouting

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:27 am

Here in Ny post season scouting and locating beds in the snow can be some what easy. North winds and fridged temps have the deer on those south facing slopes and dense cedar or pine cover in my areas. The problem is I want to find those areas the bucks will be bedding during the month of October.

Winter and early spring you can find the areas that will be the thickest once the foliage falls and get a good idea in new areas. The weather conditions will even be similar just in reverse in a sense.

The first part of October will be different. Full foliage and southern winds not to mention the Bucks mentality during that time. The areas that look like they maybe a thick mess and would hold during the early season are scouted for possible bedding areas then confirmed once foliage it up (end of turkey season)

So to the point of the topic. Last year I specifically waited for a serious of southern winds during the winter/post season. I then went directly to areas cyber scouted that would have them bedded on those winds. Fresh beds! And on top of snow! I don't think I would of found these beds/bedding areas until after snow melt.

Does anyone else wait to scout until after a couple days of consistent wind direction to try and pinpoint wind specific bedding? What are your observations and how do they correlate to what you see during season?

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Previous wind direction and post season scouting

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:29 am

I'm with you on this. Not every scouting trip but always keep that in mind.

In season scouting can be done on bedding that is not occupied with the same consideration. Less disturbing to them when they are not there.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Previous wind direction and post season scouting

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:20 am

Another helpful technique is going out a day or two after rain or snow. That gives you confidence in the tracks relating to the wind conditions. And limits the overall number of tracks so it is a bit easier to decifer what they were doing.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”