How many sheds do you find?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ontario farmer
Facebook: Ontario

Re: How many sheds do you find?

Unread postby ontario farmer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:57 am

I found my first two while tracking a wounded deer this fall. They had laid in a swamp for 8 months. My wife finds several every winter . We snow shoe together. I scout for hunting spots and she looks for deer sheds. :D I guess you have to be looking for them

Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:13 am

Ive been on pace finding a few each season, I am finding now that my shed success is going down as I am instead looking for beds / hunting set ups, instead of antlers, which I am totally ok with. My kids are getting to the age they will be joining be in the woods soon enough so im looking forward to include them and get into shed hunting as well
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:22 am

In all of my life I found 1 in Michigan and a muley shed in Montana while I was antelope hunting. The one I found in Michigan I found in January and it was already half ate by rodents.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

I find 2-4 sheds in an average year. I go once or twice truly shed hunting, other times I stumble on them while spring turkey or mushroom hunting. I have 4 areas where I find the majority of them, so I hit those areas more frequently. They are small late winter/early spring buck bedding areas.
Pretty proud of finding this spike shed last year, turned it into a letter opener. I also found a broken tine off a buck I had trailcam pics of showing the broken tine, which I thought was against the odds.
mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:36 am

Find about 15-30 but i go out looking a lot. Number has been going down over the past two years b/c there are a lot more people out looking now than there used to be. This year im going to try and concentrate on scounting more and shed hunting less but im always looking when im in the woods.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:05 am

Just one in my yard, it's a 12x16.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:56 pm

I've stumbled upon a few while trout fishing in the spring, but none while actually shed hunting! It was probably on a brushy S-bend buck bed but being pre-beast I would not have realized what I was even looking at!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”