Coyote Pressure

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Re: Coyote Pressure

Unread postby creepingdeth » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:31 am

Not real educated on the whole coyote/deer debate, but I just checked a cam and a group of does came through and 2 coyotes showed up 30 mins. after...more than 1 time. They were right on their trail, same route. Think I'll set up and try to suprise one :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:11 am

Coyote's and other predators have the largest impact on mature forest with little or no understory. Deer ( especially fawns and the weak) need to be able to hide. This is well documented and one of the reasons why deer in areas where there are constant logging operations fare better than in large mature timber stands with no areas of significant cover. The area I hunt is overrun with coyote, bears and wolves and yet the deer population is healthy. Plenty of good swamp to be found! Also many different age old dear clear cuts. That being said, I am always looking to encourage friends who trap and hunt to set on my property and places where I know they can get permission. Every little bit helps.
Vexie

Unread postby Vexie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:19 pm

I watched some video of a biologist who put trackers up some does' whowho and when the fawns dropped they were able to go right to the sight and do whatever science stuff they wanted to do. They came back and said, before they were able to get to some of them one or both of the fawns would be dead/eaten.

One of them said in some areas in the east, predation of fawns is about 50%, this guy thought that was low.

Personally I think its clear. You kill 100 and then next year you kill 100, you didn't do much to manage the population. But that doesn't mean you didn't help the deer population. Afterall, puppies don't kill fawns. In fact, puppies are on the food chain for some predators. Puppies don't eat as many deer in a year as adults. Puppies require adults time and energy looking after them. So yeah, in the end you will have plenty of yotes to kill next year. But your efforts won't be in vein.
Striving for the Best, Prepared for the Worst
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:26 pm

I've had good properties go cold because of coyotes. I didn't figure it out till winter when I found tracks everywhere and found coyote hair in a buck bed. Not sure how many deer coyotes kill but I know they avoid areas that are thick with them. This is farm country with small wood lots and thickets. Why I'm starting to gravitate towards cattail marshes and swamps where coyotes and hunters can't get most of the deer. They need thick nasty and wet to survive imo.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”