Hill Scouting Mission...Need Help

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tracker15
Facebook: MN

Hill Scouting Mission...Need Help

Unread postby Tracker15 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:46 am

I scouted a spot this past weekend and ran my GPS the whole time. Came back and uploaded all the data points and tracks and took the jist of what I found and drew up a new map to share with you. I will be hunting this area during the rut with bow and arrow and wanted to get some opinions from some of you that know what you're talking about when it comes to killing mature bucks in the hills. I marked the potential stand locations I picked out with yellow dots and numbered them (1-4). I also added a small legend to the left side of the map. Please pick this area apart and let me know what you think of the spots. Would you sit somewhere else? What wind would you hunt stand 1,2,3,4 etc? Any help would be appreciated.

Stands

1. Its on a the top and pinches deer down between cattail slough and the edge of the top before it starts to drop off sharply. Would likely hunt it with SW wind as thinking buck would cruise that side of the flat to scent check and my scent would drop off the hill down into the ravine
2. South East wind. There was a beaten down trail to west of cattail slough right on top of the flat before it dropped off. I feel like this stand would be a good SE wind stand and I think I could catch bucks coming around swamp or cutting through timber that pinches between both potholes
3. There is sort of a gate here. The fence that runs East/West has a small portion of fence that runs North (10' or so) then there is a old logging road goes through there going east to west. To the south is a big cut with a fence on the top of the hill. The big flat to the east is CRP and scrub brush. I would think deer might funnel right through gate and if I had Northerly wind it would blow over gate down into the cut.
4. Stand is on the top of a cut and there is a cut directly across the top of the CRP flat infront of stand. This is the narrowed part of the flat and any deer that cruised from east and west on the top of the flat would be within range. Would hunt with a Northly wind.

Thanks

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hill Scouting Mission...Need Help

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:47 pm

Its kinda hard to see whats going on enough to pick stand positions without getting my feet on the ground or at least being able to zoom in. But, I would more likely have my stands either lower or higher than yours. I would either be in the top 1/3 or above. or I would be right in or over the cattails / swamps.
Tracker15
Facebook: MN

Unread postby Tracker15 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:54 am

dan wrote:Its kinda hard to see whats going on enough to pick stand positions without getting my feet on the ground or at least being able to zoom in. But, I would more likely have my stands either lower or higher than yours. I would either be in the top 1/3 or above. or I would be right in or over the cattails / swamps.

I posted the photo using photo bucket. Is there another method that I could use to post map that would allow you to zoom in?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:47 am

Tracker15 wrote:
dan wrote:Its kinda hard to see whats going on enough to pick stand positions without getting my feet on the ground or at least being able to zoom in. But, I would more likely have my stands either lower or higher than yours. I would either be in the top 1/3 or above. or I would be right in or over the cattails / swamps.

I posted the photo using photo bucket. Is there another method that I could use to post map that would allow you to zoom in?

Try zooming in on the marsh areas.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:09 am

I like what you have going for sure, ill let dan and others help w cattails. I agree w Dan, i would probably be little lower into the wood line on most stands. Here is my .02 -
Orange - Possible Beds
Yellow - Stand
White - Wind Direction
Pink - Walk transition to find tracks

Im assuming that blue line fence was the property line? If so, I put 2 yellow dots right on the line. I really like that spur w the far S orange dot for a N wind bed. If it is one, id set up on line next to that funnel connecting the bed to property. If that is in fact a bed, you got something nice bc I think a smart buck leaves the bed up wind and w that funnel leading straight up, you could really give him a false sense of security on an off wind!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”