New territory suggestions

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PAGT500

New territory suggestions

Unread postby PAGT500 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:47 am

Started with a new area this year due to moving and hunting pressure. The area sees some archery pressure and gets mobbed during gun season. I walked a 3.5 mile loop and found some good trails.
I am just looking for a second set of eyes from some more experienced folks.
I do not mind putting the miles on, there are 2 parking areas, this is all public land.

Thank you

Brian

Topo map

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: New territory suggestions

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:22 am

Have you used a winter aerial photo to find cover edges also? With significant pressure, you can probably rule out most of the open woods for daylight activity.

Not much jumps out to me looking at just that topo. Maybe someone else will see something and chime in.
Not all those who wander are lost...
PAGT500

Unread postby PAGT500 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:33 pm

Great idea, took a couple minutes to figure it out from google maps. Have a couple spots I will be looking at.
Thank you for the idea.

Brian

jwilkstn wrote:Have you used a winter aerial photo to find cover edges also? With significant pressure, you can probably rule out most of the open woods for daylight activity.

Not much jumps out to me looking at just that topo. Maybe someone else will see something and chime in.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:29 am

I would think you'd want to walk the 1/3 elevation line around the whole area. Focus on the leeward edges of points. This is where your buck bedding should be. Also any transition from differing kinds of terrain.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
PAGT500

Unread postby PAGT500 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:58 am

Old Quarry?

This is an area I found the other day. A few active trails, a few rubs, a couple of overgrown logging roads.

Brian

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”