2017 SCOUTING REPORTS

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Re: 2017 SCOUTING REPORTS

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:02 am

stash59 wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:Get him lockdown!

I did some shining last night with the one and only stash59! Was a good night overall.

Yeah we did see a "few"!!! Thanx again for the ride!

Only problem was I was so wound up I stayed up too late looking at GoogleEarth!!!! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was wondering if thats what you would do

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:16 pm

Went and sat the same observation tree that I did Friday. I got there a little late as I had to put my two year old to bed first.

I was pretty mind blown by how different movement was. Friday everything was out early and loafed around... fed in the same spot for 10-15 minutes or more. Today they'd grab a quick bite and be on their way :think: Conditions were very similar. Same wind close to same temps.

Everything was backwards... fields where I saw multiple deer Friday had none tonight and vice versa :think: I saw a half dozen or more deer use the food plot on the private Friday. ZERO tonight. They came out way later (right at prime time tonight) and were on a mission to get somewhere. I saw roughly 18 which is great and even better 8 were bucks. I'm pretty sure all were yearlings.

I shined the same circuit and saw 2 does and one forkie... no sign of Mr. Big or the other decent shooter I saw during daylight on the neighboring private...

I'm thinking I'll switch it up and try a new spot next time I go out...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm gonna sit my first observation stand next week...Can't wait!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:56 am

Lockdown wrote:Went and sat the same observation tree that I did Friday. I got there a little late as I had to put my two year old to bed first.

I was pretty mind blown by how different movement was. Friday everything was out early and loafed around... fed in the same spot for 10-15 minutes or more. Today they'd grab a quick bite and be on their way :think: Conditions were very similar. Same wind close to same temps.

Everything was backwards... fields where I saw multiple deer Friday had none tonight and vice versa :think: I saw a half dozen or more deer use the food plot on the private Friday. ZERO tonight. They came out way later (right at prime time tonight) and were on a mission to get somewhere. I saw roughly 18 which is great and even better 8 were bucks. I'm pretty sure all were yearlings.

I shined the same circuit and saw 2 does and one forkie... no sign of Mr. Big or the other decent shooter I saw during daylight on the neighboring private...

How close are you to where the deer were moving. Did you get some winds in between sits that could have blown your ground scent into the feeding areas? If so maybe that's what caused the difference.

Last summer my 1st sit in 1 spot. Was on an old piece of metal machinery. I wasn't quiet enough crawling on top of it. I got busted by quite a few does. Never saw them using those presumed bedding areas again. No deer moved through those areas either. This was 100-200 yards out from my "hide".
I kept going back because I could see alot of ground up to 1/2 mile away. So all of the area about 300 yards away. And farther had normal deer movement.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:41 am

stash59 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Went and sat the same observation tree that I did Friday. I got there a little late as I had to put my two year old to bed first.

How close are you to where the deer were moving. Did you get some winds in between sits that could have blown your ground scent into the feeding areas? If so maybe that's what caused the difference.

Last summer my 1st sit in 1 spot. Was on an old piece of metal machinery. I wasn't quiet enough crawling on top of it. I got busted by quite a few does. Never saw them using those presumed bedding areas again. No deer moved through those areas either. This was 100-200 yards out from my "hide".
I kept going back because I could see alot of ground up to 1/2 mile away. So all of the area about 300 yards away. And farther had normal deer movement.

I'm as remote (from the deer and fields) and stealthy as I can get. I'm on the edge of a farmers mowed yard so my presence shouldn't be an issue whatsoever. Closest beans are about 350 yards. I can see well over a mile in spots.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:44 am

Lockdown wrote:
stash59 wrote:

I'm as remote (from the deer and fields) and stealthy as I can get. I'm on the edge of a farmers mowed yard so my presence shouldn't be an issue whatsoever. Closest beans are about 350 yards. I can see well over a mile in spots.

Just goes to show you never know, what, they're gonna do!!!
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Pulled a camera tonight off a beaten trail in some hardwoods next to a swamp. I was feeling pretty bummed about the pictures because most were nighttime whiteout pictures but then I saw a nice one. Looks like I located a big one to chase after this year 8-) He was using the trail going away from the swamp about an hour after sunset. He had made it about 450 yards from the first couple of suspected bedding areas. Man I can't wait for season to start!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:49 pm

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Pulled a camera tonight off a beaten trail in some hardwoods next to a swamp. I was feeling pretty bummed about the pictures because most were nighttime whiteout pictures but then I saw a nice one. Looks like I located a big one to chase after this year 8-) He was using the trail going away from the swamp about an hour after sunset. He had made it about 450 yards from the first couple of suspected bedding areas. Man I can't wait for season to start!

That's a good feeling! Nice work
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:18 pm

I pulled a card and moved another camera. I got a couple more nice bucks on this card. That's 4 so far this year on only 2 cameras! :dance:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Pulled a cam today from a hardwoods surrounded by swamp in an APR zone - only a family group of does on camera so that's kind of a bummer. I had it in a spot I was sure I'd get some nighttime activity... Placed two other cameras on two different properties that I suspect there should be some biggins running around. Also, i've been shining a couple times the past week and have only seen a few doe groups. We have so much corn around here surrounding the public shining is pretty limited, have to keep searching.
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Fun reading up on everyone's progress. I'm itching to get back to school so I can put some final observation and scouting trips.

Good luck and keep the posts coming. Season's on its way.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:08 am

Went to check a trail cam this morning that had soaked for 2.5 months. Turns out i had left the camera on "setup" mode instead of "on" :lol: oh well

It was a very successful morning though because i had an encounter with a shooter 8 point. I was walking across an open grassy area in the gray light of early morning. I caught a rack in the corner of my eye and sure enough a fat 8 point was bedded in some tall grass up on a knob above me probably only 60 yards away. I stopped and tried to snap a picture with my phone. And then i kept walking. I dont think he even got up to run, as far as i know he just layed low. Funny thing is i have found beds right where he was laying and now i got to see a buck there.

I have a pretty good theory of at least one spot i can find him during season in daylight so hopefully i will meet him again!!
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:13 am

hunter_mike wrote:Went to check a trail cam this morning that had soaked for 2.5 months.Turns out i had left the camera on "setup" mode instead of "on" :lol: oh well

It was a very successful morning though because i had an encounter with a shooter 8 point. I was walking across an open grassy area in the gray light of early morning. I caught a rack in the corner of my eye and sure enough a fat 8 point was bedded in some tall grass up on a knob above me probably only 60 yards away. I stopped and tried to snap a picture with my phone. And then i kept walking. I dont think he even got up to run, as far as i know he just layed low. Funny thing is i have found beds right where he was laying and now i got to see a buck there.

I have a pretty good theory of at least one spot i can find him during season in daylight so hopefully i will meet him again!!

I checked one that I moved in may monday evening during that shower we had. I put one of the batts in backwards. Dooh! :think:

I've been doing a bunch of scouting the last two weeks and I am getting my but kicked on finding beds right now. I've marked a bunch of spots off the map, which is a win I guess. This newest WMA I am scouting is keeping me humble!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:26 am

Tufrthnails wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:Went to check a trail cam this morning that had soaked for 2.5 months.Turns out i had left the camera on "setup" mode instead of "on" :lol: oh well

I checked one that I moved in may monday evening during that shower we had. I put one of the batts in backwards. Dooh! :think:

I've been doing a bunch of scouting the last two weeks and I am getting my but kicked on finding beds right now. I've marked a bunch of spots off the map, which is a win I guess. This newest WMA I am scouting is keeping me humble!

:lol: goes to show how i can do it 99% right and one little detail gets me
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:15 am

hunter_mike wrote:
Tufrthnails wrote:

:lol: goes to show how i can do it 99% right and one little detail gets me

Bet you'll double check that from now on!!! Cool about the buck though!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”