2017 SCOUTING REPORTS

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: 2017 SCOUTING REPORTS

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 am

Looking good Stash!!

I'm sure that was a lot of work but it will pay off! 8-)

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:40 am

rthunter wrote:July 10 went to walk a new are of public land. Was looking for a horse trail to head to marsh thicket about 1.5 miles away and ended up on a good well worn deer/game trail that led me to some very fresh buck scat(as I know it). From there I thought a heard a deer get up and wander farther off. As I continued up the trail I jumped what looked to be a huge of a deer - well that is the only part I saw but the body looked too big to be a doe. Wandered a bit and found a very well worn set of beds. Too me I assumed they were a bucks beds as they were behind a bloe down with the SSW wind on the 10th blowing right over the back side but they were not as high on the ridge as I would have expected but they were in a perfect spot to see everything below and there was a lot of short belly hair in them. (Picture below if I can get them to post correctly). Lower down in the flat there was another set of 8-9 beds I am assuming were doe beds. Any opinions on these would be great as I am not certain the beds pictured were from a buck not. I found both doe and buck tracks in them.

Bed 1
Bed 2
Bed 3
Deer Hair and Track in Bed

EXCELLENT PIC W THE TRACK! Thank you for posting that rthunter! Can I use this pic in my buck track matching thread?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:44 am

stash59 wrote:Despite not feeling very good. I dug deep and pushed myself. To take advantage of the cooler temps here yesterday(7/16).

Got another fort style ground blind set up.

These are looking out of the shooting holes.

This is looking back at it from about 25 yards.

It's on the edge of an overgrown grassy field. Small 3 acre oak woods behind with a bean field beyond that. Corn field to my left about 70 yards. To my right another small oak woods with a scrape at the corner of the field. With a pine plantation on the adjoining private.

Probably not a big buck spot, but hopefully some does use it. Big bucks use all of the nearby private. It's just another easy access spot for me to try. Plus I just got a gut feeling about the spot when I first saw it.

Nice, I think your Fort could use a mote! :D Good Luck this fall!
rthunter

Unread postby rthunter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:45 am

Darkknight54 wrote:
rthunter wrote:July 10 went to walk a new are of public land. Was looking for a horse trail to head to marsh thicket about 1.5 miles away and ended up on a good well worn deer/game trail that led me to some very fresh buck scat(as I know it). From there I thought a heard a deer get up and wander farther off. As I continued up the trail I jumped what looked to be a huge of a deer - well that is the only part I saw but the body looked too big to be a doe. Wandered a bit and found a very well worn set of beds. Too me I assumed they were a bucks beds as they were behind a bloe down with the SSW wind on the 10th blowing right over the back side but they were not as high on the ridge as I would have expected but they were in a perfect spot to see everything below and there was a lot of short belly hair in them. (Picture below if I can get them to post correctly). Lower down in the flat there was another set of 8-9 beds I am assuming were doe beds. Any opinions on these would be great as I am not certain the beds pictured were from a buck not. I found both doe and buck tracks in them.

Bed 1
Bed 2
Bed 3
Deer Hair and Track in Bed

EXCELLENT PIC W THE TRACK! Thank you for posting that rthunter! Can I use this pic in my buck track matching thread?

Sure! Glad its helpful.
rthunter

Unread postby rthunter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:48 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:8-)

Looking good stash!

Xs2!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Made it out for a quick glass n shine tonight. Stopped at a private CRP field that butts up to some public bedding and saw a few does and two yearling 6 pointers. I can't quite see the bedding from the road so it's a bit of a bummer.

From there I stopped at the neighboring farm to talk to an older couple. First knocked on their door spring of '16. Well they moved but luckily the new owner does NOT like deer in her garden. My goal is to try and set the LW on the edge of their grove to observe. I still don't think I'll be able to see the bedding as good as I'd like to. I thought I was going to get to take advantage of their silo, but the ladder is all rusted apart :doh: I knew that was too good to be true ;)

I did see two deer along a corn edge near the bedding, but it was too far to see what they were with binos. Ran back for the spotter but I wasn't quick enough.

I shined for an hour and a half and that was a bust. Only saw 5 does. The corn just started tasseling last weekend and I already can't wait for it to be gone :lol:

Didnt see much for deer but it was fun to get out of the house. 8-)
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:36 am

I headed out on a couple of glassing trips last week. nothing too exciting. 2 smaller bucks and a dozen doe's.

Gonna pull cards & re position cameras this weekend. This will be my first card pulls of the year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:57 am

Found a really big overlooked bed, in a bulletproof spot. 75 yards off the road. It was on a small knoll, and I could see my truck from it. It's adjacent to another couple of beds I found in a small swampy area in March.

For the heck of it, I set-up on camera on it. Hopefully I get a few pics.

A nice find!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:27 pm

Haven't been up to much lately. Feeling tired and run down and need alot more quality hours of sleep. Mentioned in another thread that I needed a whitetail fix and said I would go for a drive. I almost backed out. But at 7:30 I headed out to the car.

I wasn't disappointed. Saw 15 to 20 deer. All in bean fields. Mostly does and fawns. But 1 bachelor group of 3 bucks. Even with the car shut off I wasn't very steady holding my binos. All 3 were shooters in my book. 2 had a background that didn't allow me to make out much definition. But I could tell they had growth in the big 2YO to average 3YO range. The 3rd was quite abit closer. Though I still couldn't count points. I could see lots of velvet covered bone. Especially on the right side. I gotta check my pics. But I think this is the same buck I dubbed the July 4th buck from last year. He was within 200 yards of where I saw him last summer. If it's the same buck.

Despite my health issues. Tonight made me feel how fortunate I am. I live in an area that has truely exceptional bucks calling it home. I listen to the frustrations of others. Like those in Michigan. That have spent way more time scouting, glassing and running cameras. Than me. That still haven't seen a 3 YO. On a whim I take 1 little drive and see 3 nice bucks. With 1 a true whopper. So if you hear me complaining later this year. Just remind me of this post.

Thanx and good luck everyone!!!

Chuck
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Went and shined a piece of public that can only be accessed from boat.. can shine or glass fields on back side of the water.. 1 really good buck that would be a shooter plus some smaller ones and allot of does not very far from where I believe the bedding to be :dance: I'm getting the itch to hunt
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:06 am

Did some more "drive by's" last night. In different areas. Saw alot of deer. Couple of 2-3 YO "tweeners". But not much near the public pieces I plan on hunting. Not that the deer aren't there. Just more corn and brush obscuring things. In these areas.

As long as I can't fall asleep until midnight any way. I should try some shining. Guess I need to buy a light!!!!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:12 am

stash59 wrote:Did some more "drive by's" last night. In different areas. Saw alot of deer. Couple of 2-3 YO "tweeners". But not much near the public pieces I plan on hunting. Not that the deer aren't there. Just more corn and brush obscuring things. In these areas.

As long as I can't fall asleep until midnight any way. I should try some shining. Guess I need to buy a light!!!!!

Stash...I have corn and thick foliage in many of my target areas too this year! ARG!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:16 am

Yeah I'd much rather climb a tree and do an observation sit. I've always had good luck doing this. But I'm just not feeling up to it right now.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:29 am

Little late to post, but Wednesday I went out for some in the field observing and shining. Hit up a spot where I had good luck last year, but no dice. i was very late getting there. I hiked in to two separate fields and saw a yearling buck in one and a doe in the other. I made a move across some open field and she popped up out of the drainage ditch and busted me :oops: then tore off through the bedding blowing the whole time :lol: I was hoping to observe from the vehicle but my bean field was corn again. Quite a few guys planting corn on corn these days.

After that I shined my way home. Didn't see anything but does for the longest time but finally ran into a nice bachelor group 8-)

There were four. A yearling, two yr old, one I couldn't tell if it was a huge two or small three yr old, and the last one was a shooter 10. Pretty sure he's a stud 3 yr old. Guessing low 130's, nice frame and tine length, low on mass.

Best part is, they were less than a mile from some public that I've scouted but never hunted. Found two bedding areas there but both were tricky to access due to property lines. :roll: gonna have to put the thinking cap on and try to figure out a crazy way to get in there. That seems to be the common denominator with all my good stuff... access is never simple.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:32 am

Cool chuck. Good to hear you are seeing some good numbers of deer around.

My scouting report is that i got at least 1 3+ y.o. on camera in an area i have scouted pretty thoroughly. I have been out of town a lot lately but this week i plan to check my other 3 cameras that have been sitting since early june.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”