We will never know how many times it happens

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ihookem
500 Club

We will never know how many times it happens

Unread postby ihookem » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:03 pm

Ya just never know where you are going to kick up a buck. I have 4 ac here where I live . The back 2.5 ac. is brush, planted pines , spruce , poplars and other stuff that just grows. It is thick in the back part so several years ago I brush hogged a 5' wide path around the back of the land of mine. So , around 4pm I decide to check my trail cam and walk the loop around my land and see if I can kick up a rabbit. Sure enough, Could have shot it. Teach me to not bring the .22. As I walked a bit more I notice a trail , so , I backtracked to see if I could see another rabbit. As I stepped off the trail 20' or so , , a buck explodes out of the patch of pines I planted 10 yrs ago. Had I kept walking the trail there is no doubt in my mind I never would have knew that deer was there. I have walked that trail so many times and only kicked up another deer one time. I was not more than 20' from that deer while on the trail. He had been hanging there a while, 4 beds in 10' or so. Ho many times have we walked right past a deer that knew enough to hold tight? We will never know. Later, ihookem.

hunter_mike

Re: We will never know how many times it happens

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:59 pm

That is cool!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:43 pm

You are correct we will never know.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:05 am

I've seen that a lot hunting with hounds down here. those dogs will be right underneath them when they jump. We've put dogs back in the same spots 4 different times and run 4 different deer. The others would just hold tight.

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:40 pm

We stood at a gate next to the truck in SD... talked for 20 minutes. When we got in the truck, a buck stood up 15 yards away and ran off.

Sometimes I think about blowing loud distress snorts in my Lohman snort call just to see if I can get deer to bust out... ... to see some flags. Anyone tried something like that? Especially in heavy pressured areas?

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:06 am

I will never forget 2 different instances in a property I hunted as a teenager where I had jumped 2 different monster bucks while rabbit hunting right by the road...within 20 yards of the road, 1 was in a sinkhole the other was by a bedded by an abandoned building.

Also shot one of my biggest bucks about 75 yards from a road....nobody else would hunt there as it was too close to the road.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:27 am

Can't tell you how many times especially when scouting that I just get that gut feeling a deer is bedding nearby so stop to scan the area when suddenly a deer will bust out. Pretty sure if I kept moving away even at short distances the deer would never budge.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:04 am

mheichelbech wrote:
Also shot one of my biggest bucks about 75 yards from a road....nobody else would hunt there as it was too close to the road.

I jumped a nice 10 pointer out of a spot exactly like this. It's also 60 yards from a field edge many hunter walk to get into a back field.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:26 am

Yep. you never know. It happens ALL the time and you just don't know it. What opened my eye up to this is the time i walked a path to make a big loop around to a thick bedding area only to witness a buck come right from the path I first started off at. He had to be bedded just inside the path and walked right by him.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:32 am

Many many many times in the past. That's what make deer drives fun- especially in the cattails. After time, beast knowledge and reps you start expecting them to jump up in certain spots/senarios. They still surprise you now and again. It's one of the biggest rushes in hunting- jump shooting deer. Imo.

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:14 am

A couple of years ago while spring scouting with Dad we were walking in on an access trail. Dad picks up a phone call from Mom as we're walking. There was an intersection and we walked straight through, but a small doe was 5 yards off the path if that. She was just watching us as we walked right past. I couldn't get Dad's attention as he was on the phone. So we just kept walking and I was watching her. As soon as our back was slightly turned to her she got up and quietly moved off. She knew she was out of our visual field, except I was watching her with my head turned.

Dad never believed me when I told him that a few minutes later.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:07 am

I was hunting with my dad and uncle in october this year. Decided to loop around and do a quick scout on my way out to the truck. 50 yards from the trucks, and close enough to hear my uncle and another guy talking, I jumped a doe and fawn. If I was a right handed shot I would have had a easy 20 yard chip shot on the doe. They never knew the deer were there and I am convinced those deer bed there because people park and walk the same way every time, every weekend. Neither believed me when I said I saw the deer where I said I did as nobody had seen a deer out hunting in that area besides the one spike I passed up. Next year I am planning on sitting there for a morning hunt early season if I get a doe tag
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”