A point is a point...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

A point is a point...

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:44 am

Another thread got me thinking about this. POINTS. From what I have seen deer love them. I don't care what kind of point it is... A river oxbow... A ridge/point in hill country... A point of grass or trees in the cattails.... A point of canary grass jutting into shatter cane (that tall 8' yellow cane)... Deer love all of these for bedding for one obvious reason: they are protected on 3 of 4 sides. If danger approaches, it will be obvious to them. In hill country they'll see you coming, in swamp or marsh they'll hear you. Add in the fact that they love to lay wind to back on those points and it's a pretty tough scenario for the hunter if you don't know that bed is there.

Take an oxbow for example. A buck can lay there and KNOW he is safe if he hears something walking on the opposite side of the river. If he hears it crossing, he knows it might be time to get the heck out of dodge. If there's danger on the same side of the river, as long as it doesn't head down that oxbow toward him, he'll hang tight.

Big bucks don't like to lay in places where they don't know which direction danger will come from. Laying on a point, no matter the terrain, helps them know when they're safe and when it's time to flee.

Imagine playing tag in the dark (and you can't hear well). Are you going to feel safe in a place where the "seeker" could approach you silently from any direction? You would have to be vigilant around you 360 degrees. Sounds stressful. Now imagine hiding where you know they can't get to you without you hearing them, aside from ONE direction which has your constant attention. I know which position I'd rather be in!

When you're out scouting pay close attention to points. It could even be a CRP field with a big patch of tumbleweed (very crackly) with a point of grass jutting in to it. I also see bedding on points sticking into ag fields, especially standing corn. Moral of the story, it doesn't really matter what type of terrain you're in... Points mean structure and safety to a deer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

hunter10
500 Club

Re: A point is a point...

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:33 am

Yep I agree. While scouting I always find myself ending up near some sort of point after following sign etc

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:51 pm

Spot on. Majority of buck beds I find are point related. And if not, structure or raised hummock bedding within transition is where it's at. The points that really excite me are the small detailed ones that aren't obvious on aerials. For example, picking out a small swamp pothole only to find a tiny elevated ridge point that juts out into it lit up with big buck sign.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:28 pm

I hunt where it is fairly flat, so even a slight point that isn't obvious on the topo usually holds beds. Though they are almost impossible to find unless you have boots on the ground! I literally stumbled on a couple this year. One by seeing the buck come out just before dark. And the other I jumped the buck out of it while scouting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”