Tricks for leaving cameras on public

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Tricks for leaving cameras on public

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:21 pm

It seems everyone runs multiple cameras throughout the season here. I'm a relative rookie (even though I'm older than most on this sight) when it comes to camera scouting. I'm very nervous leaving them for extended periods because of theft. I had one stolen last year that was cable locked on. I think my lack of camera scouting (I only used one, during the spring) has hurt my success this year. I had no shooters on camera before the season started. Is anyone else in the same boat?

I know, "mount them high" & "lock them on". Any insight would be helpful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
wolfie729
500 Club

Re: Tricks for leaving cameras on public

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:27 pm

Like you said mount them high. Usually 10' is safe just under a limb so its semi camoflauged and dont use a strap mount use a screw in adjustable mount straps draw way to much attention to the camera.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Earn what’s never given.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:52 pm

Put them where people don't go. I've ran them on both public and private. The only one I had stolen was on private that I only hunted. I had one on public this year 30 yds from a mowed acces trail in a thicket. It was a night crossing area and I got some good pics for inventory. A ton of guys walked past it and never saw it.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:10 pm

I lost a few this year. Over the years it seems I lose most of them when set next to private land and only in Western WI. I like to hang em high. Screw in mounts are illegal here, so I use paracord or neutral straps. It helps to brush them in if possible.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:59 am

I use two lone wolf sticks to climb up, then I use a HSS camera mount and angle it way down. The trick is to get it way out of eye level view. The deer don't seem to notice them either when they are 10-12' up. Never had one stolen yet with this approach.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:14 am

Also, if anyone has some good working older cameras they would like to get rid of let me know. Preferably black flash so it can be stealthier. Thanks for the input!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:44 am

have any of you tried using a cable lock like a python cable along with putting them up high? im sure they could be cut, or they could come back later and steal them, but seems like it would stop impulse theft
megwan

Unread postby megwan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:28 pm

My recon and a couple others I use lock box and the python for. I have a couple cheaper ones I don't lock. The nicer cams especially the reconyx is always deep in the woods. I use the cheaper cams closer to the roads and hang them high,and brush in. No losses yet.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:50 pm

One trick that was successful this year was timing when I put it out.

As the corn or beans got high enough to cut down on traffic I put my camera out,left it till harvest of corn or when beans browned out enough to walk through. It doesn't work for every occasion but worth mentioning.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:30 am

Tgreeno, if interested, here is a thread on how i made one of my cameras totally camo'd out:

viewtopic.php?f=286&t=31152

You basically cover up the camera lens, PIR detector, and LEDs with masking tape, add caulking adhesive, spray paint it brown, spray it down liberally with loctight adhesive spray, then roll it around in leaves and dead grass.

Here is the link to where I originally found this idea with step by step instructions: http://www.simplytraditional.net/tag/trail-camera/

good luck!
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:38 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Tgreeno, if interested, here is a thread on how i made one of my cameras totally camo'd out:

viewtopic.php?f=286&t=31152

You basically cover up the camera lens, PIR detector, and LEDs with masking tape, add caulking adhesive, spray paint it brown, spray it down liberally with loctight adhesive spray, then roll it around in leaves and dead grass.

Here is the link to where I originally found this idea with step by step instructions: http://www.simplytraditional.net/tag/trail-camera/

good luck!

Good idea I think I'm gonna try that

ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:59 pm

We had out 1st cam stolen this year , way up in Sawyer co. WIs. I always find a tree that is the same color as the cam. Having a tree right next to it helps a lot. I also take a stick and lean it against the trail cam . This conceals it from the sides. It is somewhat concealed looking straight at it if the tree is the same color.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:05 pm

I camouflage with vegetation. ..
Same with my stands.

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”