getting in the game

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bwwma

getting in the game

Unread postby bwwma » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:05 am

Lee side, transition and thermals will put you in the game. Our public land is many thousands of acres, and I picked this spot on the map based on the wind direction, transition coming from creek bottom blow and another transition joining also. I went in blind at pink light, easing my way around. When I was getting close to the area I wanted to check out, it didn't have any sign, there was a mature white oak dropping up from the military crest. I eased down to see if the military crest was a bluff or not, right along the military crest I found 5 different beds that looked fresh cause they didn't have a lot of leaves in them. I climbed above the mixing zone hoping a deer may feed to the white oak. I didn't see any deer on stand but shrinking the thousands of acres down to one tree, I feel like i'm more in the game now. The beds were located on the top pin. The bottom pin doesn't mean anything.

bwwma

Re: getting in the game

Unread postby bwwma » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:47 am

I went in blind again and decided to hunt a hub where several points from ridges come together. There was bedding available on many of the points especially the point to the north of where I climbed, the tight elevation lines are bluffs. I climbed at the pin. I thought with a NE wind a buck may cruise this ridge on the leeward side. I heard a unusually loud long grunt come from west of my stand. A buck came down the ridge to the west and crossed over just north of my stand on the other side of the point. I didn't figure deer would be on the eastern side of a ridge with a north east wind, but maybe he was running a circuit checking for a hot doe. It was thick and I couldn't get a shot, when I climbed down he had freshened up a scrape where the x is located. I'm still learning!
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:00 am

Went in semi blind this morning at pink light. Place looked good on maps but heavy pressure especially since we're 2 weeks into gun season. There wasn't any buck sign, until I saw a few scrapes on a bench that would be the thermal tunnel with today's wind. 15 mph winds today. Image
SaddleMaster

Unread postby SaddleMaster » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:14 pm

Looks like you're learning really good! Nice work. Keep posting examples of your scouting and hunts. I like to see examples of how others approach hill country.
cameron

Unread postby cameron » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:38 am

Nice job man, it's a great feeling when you start putting the puzzle together. Congrats!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:20 am

:dance:
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:35 am

Congrats on the success. Still looking to get on a good mature public land buck. Love seeing other guys getting it figured out and sharing their successes.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:20 am

Thanks guys. On that public land buck I was lucky enough to kill, here's the layout and approach. My route is in blue and the buck's route is in red. I was walking along a bench knowing that I would climb on the first fresh sign. Other than a faint trail running along the bench, the only fresh sign I found was a few scrapes that didn't have any leaves in them and I climbed about 40 yards away. The top of the ridge and the points were thick. I may not kill another one but I was glad to get this one.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:36 am

Great examples. Looks like you got in the game. Congrats!
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:49 am

Nice job man

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:28 pm

Great job! Like you im starting to understand as well its just a matter of time witch i dont have but learning a ton from all you guys. Nice!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:28 am

Here's another example of an edge or transition area. They're the white areas on topo maps that have grown up. They're often thicker than the older timber that joins them. Here's an example of a place that I plan on checking out. Image topo
Image aerial
The topo is grainy but there is a white area probably where it was logged in the past, If you look at the aerial you can see how north of the red line it thicker than below the red line. That can create a subtle transition edge.
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:26 am

This buck either has unusually long legs or a tall rack. There are gouges in the tree 10 inches above my rifle.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:36 am

I'd say you're in the game! The learning curve is short for you! I see
More and bigger antlers in your future
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:05 am

Nice job on the buck, and yeah I'd say you're in the game!
Not all those who wander are lost...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”