Topo/terrain to look for in the RUT?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Putt4Doe

Topo/terrain to look for in the RUT?

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:23 am

Guys - so I have been on this forum for a couple years (and lurked for a year or so before just soaking up knowledge!) - I understand hunting bucks in their bedding areas for the majority of the year, and I'm getting better and better at finding their bedding areas, but since bucks are up on their feet and actually moving more in daylight than normal during the seeking/chasing phase of the rut, it leads me to wondering....

What I'm curious about is this: what terrain feature(s) do you look for if you're going into an area blind for a seeking/chasing phase hunt? I've read "Mapping Trophy Bucks" by Brad Herndon and know to look for the hilltop saddles, etc, but I'm curious what you bests look for.

Enlighten me!! Thanks in advance to everyone on this forum. Y'all are great.

tbunao
500 Club

Re: Topo/terrain to look for in the RUT?

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:40 am

Everything in the book is great and I read it every year. But I think one thing is doe bedding. If you can find 2 key bedding areas and have a terrain feature in between your golden.

Look at the topo/aerial identify possible bedding areas then look for said features connecting. Even if it's not on your property, deer have no idea property lines exist.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Putt4Doe

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:59 am

tbunao wrote:Everything in the book is great and I read it every year. But I think one thing is doe bedding. If you can find 2 key bedding areas and have a terrain feature in between your golden.

Look at the topo/aerial identify possible bedding areas then look for said features connecting. Even if it's not on your property, deer have no idea property lines exist.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I appreciate the reply. I love hunting downwind of a doe bedding area during the rut, looking for a cruising buck to slide by and try to scent check the area.

What are some features that you look for when cyber scouting to locate doe bedding?
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:16 pm

I'm in hill/bluff country. first I look at topo for points or benches that are on leeward side, then look at satellite to see how open the canopy is or if there are any blow downs. When I look at a topo map I don't take roads into account for the most part. The roads here don't receive a lot of traffic and the deer have grown up around them so I don't let distance from the road keep me from climbing. I've found several beds within a short walk of the road.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”