What constitutes "Hill Country"?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sgspencer

What constitutes "Hill Country"?

Unread postby sgspencer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:41 am

Hey guys, new member here! I've been watching "Hill Country" DVD this weekend and have learned a tremendous amount of information.
There is an area I plan on scouting after this upcoming season which I would describe as "hilly" with maybe 50-75 ft elevation changes. I am wondering if bedding in an area like this will have the same thermal tunnels and bedding preferences as discussed on the dvd or if higher elevation changes and slopes are needed?
Here's a topo map of a part of the area that has 7.5' elevation lines.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/copper/d ... p?pid=5432

Thanks!

ODH
500 Club

Re: What constitutes "Hill Country"?

Unread postby ODH » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:12 am

I hunt similar terrain in central NY and have found it most helpful to combine the concepts of the swamp bedding dvd and the hill country dvd together. So when I follow edges, transitions, and thick thick cover I find beds. And when those cover characteristics intersect with ridges/points/saddles etc then all the better. Thermals are always at play but I don't really find a reliable "tunnel" unless I find a steeper change in elevation. I describe my area as more hill than mountain but everyone's definition is a little different. But for clarity it does take your breath away to walk up. In our area we find the wind is constantly swirling and deflecting off terrain and cover edges. It's definitely not in the hunters favor. So my two cents is walk all of those features and you should find what you are looking for. Curious what everyone else thinks. Good luck!
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:15 am

U can call that more rolling hill country. The beds will not be as defined as higher elevation an they want always been around the 1/3 of ur main line elevation. Same principles as hill country just a wider area for them to lay in if that makes sense to you.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
sgspencer

Unread postby sgspencer » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:49 pm

Thanks for the input guys. If I find any bedding trends on this type of terrain I'll pass along the info.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”