Topo / scouting help for this piece?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lardy125

Topo / scouting help for this piece?

Unread postby lardy125 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:16 pm

Going on a 4 day trip to some public land in a couple weeks here, and I'm not good enough at reading topo maps to know if I'm on the right track with this piece. In the image I've linked, the lower left corner is our camp site. The red line is a logging road, and the orange lines are the most obvious deer trails going in/out of some sort of swamp. There are many more crisscrossing through there, though. I've marked out 7 possible spots to hang a stand or tuck in on the ground, based only on what I know and think. What do you guys think, am I on the right track here? There are funnels so obvious even a noob like myself can see them at spots 1, 2, 3, and 6, which is why I marked them. Spots 5 & 7 aren't necessarily exactly where they need to be, that's just me saying I am thinking about setting up where the trails go in/out. One thing I was thinking about but don't have marked (and don't really know how to go about it, to be honest) is checking the downslopes of those obvious ridges for beds. Good idea, or no?

General notes about the area:
The spot marked #1 is more or less right on the public land boundary, so I can't go any farther south than that. The logging road runs through sort of a mixed chunk of mostly hardwood timber; a few oaks, some birch, poplar, probably a few other kinds too. There are also a bunch of conifers scattered throughout. The yellow and green in the very upper left corner and lower left are tamarack/spruce bogs. Wind is usually one of the "wests" on any given day: NW, W, or SW. The entire eastern edge of this piece is shoreline of a lake, which you can see part of in the top right corner.

This is already longer than I intended so I'll wrap it up for now, but let me know if you have any questions. If you have the time to let me know what you think of my current ideas, or let me know how you would hunt it, I would greatly appreciate it! Many thanks!

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: Topo / scouting help for this piece?

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:20 am

I have extremely limited experience in such flat terrain, so not going to speculate too much. I would think an up to date satellite/aerial photo would be more helpful, but I gotta ask where did you get a topo with 2' contours?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Not all those who wander are lost...
lardy125

Unread postby lardy125 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:58 am

This topo is off of the county's GIS site.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:36 pm

Wow. That's pretty amazing stuff. I hunt big mountain terrain and only have 20' contours available. The very best bedding knobs are not on the maps it seems.
Anyways, I'm sure the swamp hunting gurus will chime in soon. Good luck

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Not all those who wander are lost...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”