Compass question Tru Nord

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rempse2

Compass question Tru Nord

Unread postby rempse2 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:23 am

Sorry to be off topic but need some advice on purchasing a new compass. Was looking at the Tru-Nord pin on or wrist model and was wondering if anyone has any opinions or advice on these or any other quality American made our European made (Sunnto) compasses. Looking for a basic directional compass for quick reference to help me keep my bearings. Got turned around this weekend when scouting and was doubting compass on the GPS. Thanks

bwwma

Re: Compass question Tru Nord

Unread postby bwwma » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:34 am

I can't speak for Tru Nord, I don't have any experience with their products. There are much more companies that produce good compasses than there are bad. So I'm sure there are many good brands out there. I'm very pleased with my Suunto M-3 G compass. Outside of my actual deer killing equipment, the two things I won't skimp on are my boots and my compass.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:30 am

Silva Ranger is my go to and has been for like 20 years. I've had several I kept getting a bubble in them but it was my own fault I was putting it in my checked luggage and the pressure on the plane screwed them up. They still work though. Also I would purchase a model with declination adjustment. There is a huge difference between true north and magnetic north and knowing what your declination offset is pretty important. Otherwise you can be extremely far off your intended direction and it increases over distance. Just my 2cents.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:14 pm

X2 on the Siva Ranger compasses. Been using one for 50+ years.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”