Where do you get topographical maps and aerials?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Re: Where do you get topographical maps and aerials?

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:22 am

Alright I figured it out. Everyone needs to try this. http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives ... map_i.html

Read the short blog and click on the link that is posted for the topo over lay maps and download it with google earth. You select your spot and let it sit for 5 seconds and the screens just switches over to a topo map. There is a slide bar on the left of the screen and you can control the intensity of the overlay. I currently have a map that distinctly shows all of the topo lines as well as a clear aerial view so I can get familiar with the area while I am in there scouting. This is the coolest thing on the internet next to the BEast. best of all its all free.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:47 am

Hey backwoods..sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but it sounds like you figured it out..I forgot to tell you that the topo is delayed..
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:16 pm

I've been using mapcard for several years. Its my favorite.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Other than great sites everyone else named also check with some State Agencies. I have been able to download updated MN photos new every year for several years now that are taken through the US Dept of Agriculture. http://www.mngeo.state.mn.us/chouse/air ... aip10.html

Also check your local county websites, they often have online GIS mapping systems that allowed you to view detailed aerial photos and look up the ownership of each parcel at the same time. I have found a few gems over the years and discovered air photos with much greater detail than anything Google can offer.
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:14 am

google earth is the best for arials
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:39 am

Yea that's what I use too but could never get topos on it. Cornfed mentioned something about being able to do it and I read up on it and found a donwload on google so I can have topo and aerial overlay. I posted the link above.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”