What's your system?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: What's your system?

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:44 am

I keep a log book. I cut and past maps off google earth into a word document. I then email these to my phone and store them. When I am out in the field I either print out a sheet to mark as I scout or I take a small notebook and draw and record cords to transfer to sheets when I get home. If I am in a hurry I use voice command and a note taker on my phone and just give the details " buck rub, location coord, etc....)

I personally like a log sheet with a map and notes I can print and take with me

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:00 am

Today I finally put together a spread sheet listing wind direction and what stands I can hunt. Then to narrow down what stand to hunt I listed the stands that I want to hunt first. I have picked out what stands I will hunt Sat and Sun. Doing this made the selection easier.

Something interesting happened when I listed what winds are good for which stands. South wind was by far the most popular wind for hunting the beds I found. 59% of my spots are huntable on a south wind. 27% are huntable with a north wind. 36% are huntable on a west wind. I picked my stand locations based on my best guess as to which direction they will head when they leave the bed. In some cases it is pretty easy to know what way they will go and some are best guess with several options for the deer.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:09 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:I keep a log book. I cut and past maps off google earth into a word document. I then email these to my phone and store them. When I am out in the field I either print out a sheet to mark as I scout or I take a small notebook and draw and record cords to transfer to sheets when I get home. If I am in a hurry I use voice command and a note taker on my phone and just give the details " buck rub, location coord, etc....)

I personally like a log sheet with a map and notes I can print and take with me

Good ideas. Do you use a gps to get the coordinates, phone app, or by tracking your location on the map?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Not all those who wander are lost...
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:14 pm

magicman54494 wrote:Today I finally put together a spread sheet listing wind direction and what stands I can hunt. Then to narrow down what stand to hunt I listed the stands that I want to hunt first. I have picked out what stands I will hunt Sat and Sun. Doing this made the selection easier.

Cool

magicman54494 wrote:Something interesting happened when I listed what winds are good for which stands. South wind was by far the most popular wind for hunting the beds I found. 59% of my spots are huntable on a south wind. 27% are huntable with a north wind. 36% are huntable on a west wind. I picked my stand locations based on my best guess as to which direction they will head when they leave the bed. In some cases it is pretty easy to know what way they will go and some are best guess with several options for the deer.

Nearly all of my home farm stands are south wind also. I have to hunt public most anytime we have an approaching front or after a cold front when the west and north winds arrive.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Not all those who wander are lost...
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:38 pm

I have a binder will all my hunting properties broken down into the hunting spots per property with the wind directions I can hunt them on. Makes it easy to mix it up, see where I have hunted or maybe over hunted, gives me extra options per property. I also take videos on my iPhone while scouting to help explain certain spots in details

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”