Deer poo help

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KLEMZ

Re: Deer poo help

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:58 am

Dewey wrote:I know many will disagree and say crap size doesn't matter but every time I found any like that it was confirmed with a sighting of a mature buck or seeing it after immediately kicking one out of his bed. Basically if I see droppings 1"+ long or clumped into the size of a soda can you can bet I pay attention.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I also am a believer of this. I have not found many singular 1+ inch droppings, but when ever I find an area littered with 4 finger tracks I often also find big droppings (3/4"+) clumped into the soda can diameter log. I call them "Lincoln Logs"....the older beasts may chuckle at that.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:10 am

I don't worry about the clumping part of it as any deer under nutritional and or environmental stress may clump up. The stresses of the rut will often have Buck pellets clumping up more than usual.

When the average pellet length, clumped or not, Exceeds 3/4 of an inch I start paying attention. I can "nearly" always associate the droppings of this size to an area buck. When the length averages an inch or more... 'Nuff said.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:37 pm

Funny...when hung cams the other day in one spot...got excited. All the same size big droppings...in each spot.

Guess what i got on camera? :D Was not surprised when old mossy horns showed up.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:42 pm

Magic man say 7/8" dropping are his favorite.
Maybe he's confusing it with milk duds or raisenets...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:13 am

Found one as big around as a coke can an as long as my hand last Saturday. It was 60 yards from where a big 8 was bedding early in the year last year had 15 pics of him. Betting it's him not totally sure on that could be another buck but have had my cams other places so far. gonna hang it in there see if I can't get a idea what is doing before I move in. This buck was 4 plus years last year hunted him little too much not gonna make that mistake this year.

Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:43 am

Singingbridge and Dan had a discussion about it, mentioned on one of the podcasts. Final synapses is that ain't coming from a fawn. I'm rethinking my hog comment, I have a ton of hogs in my area. I always assumed the big pelleted one I found under Powerlines in the thick grass was hogs, cause I see them there all the time. But I have busted a big buck or two outta there. Time for boots on the ground.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”