Too early to start scouting?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Too early to start scouting?

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:28 am

I am heading out here in a bit to some newly discovered DNR properties. I'll bring my bow along, and the lone wolf will be in the car just in case I find some great sign. Anyhow is it too early in the season to start my scouting for next fall? Theres over a foot of snow, many large drifts and its all of 9 degrees. I would assume this has to affect some deer movement and in early september of next year they won't be following the same patterns exactly. Am I wasting my time?

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Too early to start scouting?

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:24 am

Don't think a guy can ever waste time walking and learning "your" areas.

May hurt an immediate hunt in the future, but this doesn't sound like what your asking. I say go for it.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:00 pm

i would think if nothing else you could learn something that you could use at this time next year, maybe not in september...but who knows, let us know what you find. i can't wait to get out there and do the same
When better is possible, good is never good enough
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:25 pm

I would venture to guess some here would tell ya to get that Lone Wolf on your back. You may find some hot sign and want to set up immediately and do an impromptu hunt. That way you won't be walking back and forth. If you're taking the bow, take the stand too.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Ya I messed that one up! I brought the bow along in hopes of shooting whatever I saw (not too picky :lol: ) and i found awesome sign and was making a big circle and I took a break in an awesome spot, and thought to myself I should sit it out on the ground til dark. Then heard a twig snap, i laughed it off saying wouldn't that be funny if it was a deer! I continued about my scouting and got about 20 yards further when I see a big doe go running out across a field...she was most likely bedded or browsing just out of sight and on her way to where I was going to sit it out til dark! Live and learn I guess! There was too much snow today though and too little knowledge of the area to be packing my stand around all afternoon
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:40 am

aww man! close call. i'm actually going to try and get a doe tonight on some public too. last year me and a friend shined a small field of standing corn next to some public and it had 12 deer in it. we were planning a hunt so the next day we walked the edge of the field and followed the heavy trails back into a swamp and got set up. we only saw one doe that night which was on our walk out and she was already in the corn! must have just been bedded there the whole time. so the next day we went further down the swamp edge and into the woods which was full of downfalls and cedars. i figuered they would be bedded there because of all the deep snow.
As soon as we got into the woods we spooked a couple of doe fawns from under a giant fallen tree, "this is going to be fun!" i thought because there were no human tracks and tons of deer tracks. we ended up seeing 4 more that night but didn't have any shots, my friend had never shot a deer at the time but had a real close call with a forkhorn. pretty sweet for public land right?
Well last night we shined the same field and saw about 6 deer, this time none of the corn was standing, just stubble. So tonight we plan to head into the woods and find those downfalls and big groups of cedars they were feeding on last year before heading out to the field. a quick check of the parking lot shows no one has been in there since all the snow came!!yay
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:07 am

wow awesome best of luck to you! Hope it all pans out...I am thinking of heading out to this new piece of land next week for a morning hunt possibly. Fresh snow forecasted to night should hide that I've been there and will tell if any others have...good luck to yoU!
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:30 am

thanks backwoods! i have a 20% chance for snow tonight where i'm going and i plan to hunt this weekend too if the deer sign is there, snow tomorrow or sat night would be ideal. Good luck at your new spot next week...gotta love late season!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”