Differentiating Day & Night Beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Differentiating Day & Night Beds

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:38 am

I recently came across an island of oaks and briers in the middle of a large field, which is a native grass field. Out of a hunch I scouted it and was shocked to find beds and droppings but not much for hair. You could tell there are deer using this small, isolated area but it seems to be more of a night bed than anything. No rubs, ect.. so I feel it's either does or a night bedding spot before heading back into the swamps.

My question is how do you tell? What are the giveaways for night beds vs. a regular bed?

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
bigbucks1234

Re: Differentiating Day & Night Beds

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm curious too. Numerous times I've found beds on field edges, have busted deer out of them late afternoons. Usually their in pretty open areas.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:52 pm

Deer feed pretty heavy at night. So many times, they feed and then lay down to chew their cud. Been watching deer this week glassing. Younger deer especially will all be bedded in a wide open field, chewing their cud 15 or 20 minutes before dark.

I see this a lot around food sources...like apple trees or acorns. And sometimes, buck will bed a field edge. Where I live, don't see that real often. Most beds are typically deeper in good cover. Typically, bedding areas that I target...they have to mean something. If I don't understand why a deer is bedding that spot and where he is headed when he leaves ...tough hunt that bed.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:58 pm

Still doesn't add up to me.. It's a half way point between food and bedding so it could be a good half way point to stop and relax?
It's a field edge, but the field of grass is 3-4ft tall so it's a great ambush spot for coyotes.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:00 pm

Twenty Up wrote:Still doesn't add up to me.. It's a half way point between food and bedding so it could be a good half way point to stop and relax?
It's a field edge, but the field of grass is 3-4ft tall so it's a great ambush spot for coyotes.

Observe it. Cam it. See what is there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”