Hair in beds?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

perchsoup

Hair in beds?

Unread postby perchsoup » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:57 pm

How common is hair found in beds? I found two different buck beds this weekend but no hair in either. One was on the top of a hill in a grassy area and looked used fairly often. The north slope of the hill had another bed on it much fainter so I would guess it's for a south wind. No hair in either bed. The other place I found one was in more of a dry dirt area on the edge of a swamp. Plenty of tracks and large droppings near it but no hair either. Are these used often enough to hunt or should I consider a primary bed one that has hair in it?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Hair in beds?

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:04 pm

You'll find less hair this time of year because of summer coats, in my opinion. March and April are usually the best months for hair in beds due to shedding of winter coats. With that said, id expect a bed being used now with regularity to have at least a few hairs in it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:09 pm

This time of the year they shed very little hair with the very fine summer coat. Spring is when you find the most hair by far especially as the winter coat is shedding.

Pay attention to packed down fresh vegetation and especially the size of the bed. If they are bedding now there is a reason why and it's most likely a food source. Hopefully it is something you can capitalize on very early in the season. Pretty late in the summer to bounce around looking for primary beds unless you are looking to find them for hunting next year.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:14 pm

You beat me to it seazofcheeze. I was in the middle of replying, got busy then sent it. Looks like we said the same thing. :lol:

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:37 pm

Sometimes you will find hair about 10 feet from the bed where they stand up and scratch themselves or groom.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:17 am

I was in an area that I scouted last spring. My goal is to disrupt the bedding habits in that spot. BUT the deer have not been using these beds or this spot so far this summer. They have for 5yrs in a row. But not this year.

As was mentioned by Dewey, there is no packed vegetation. Bed has not been used lately.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:59 pm

Rain can hurt finding hair in beds to. But it can also help bc if it came a flood the day before an u find several hairs on top of leaves or whatever he is laying on he has been there recently.

Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:28 am

Pretty much what they all said ^

I'll add though that not every bed gets used year round, Dan and many others have said this before it could be a seasonal bed or based off of a specific food source. So the lack of sign now but sign in December/January will let you know it's a seasonal Fall bed...

Just one more piece of the puzzle to help you get into a big bucks wheel house!
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:40 am

I think if it's a bed there will be hair in it. I always find hair in them but this time of year it's hard to see. Sometimes it's only a few hairs.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”