QUESTION ON DEER SCRAPES!!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rfickes87
500 Club

QUESTION ON DEER SCRAPES!!

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:14 am

Anyone been out scouting recently and found any scrapes in July/August? I've heard deer use/make them year round but personally I cannot ever seem to find them outside of October/November/December.

I can't summer bait anymore in my area of PA due to CWD. It was always an easy way to get an inventory on the bucks in the area before season started. My plan lately has been hanging cameras in and around beds and along obvious trails that I find. I'd like to set up some cameras on scrapes but is it too early to find them? I haven't seen any. Am I not looking hard enough? What are some of you guys opinions on making a mock scrape this early in the year? Just to catch a glimpse of a curious buck on the camera. I thought about hanging some drippers over mock scrapes with some buck urine.

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: QUESTION ON DEER SCRAPES!!

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:28 am

First thing you should do is try to avoid hanging cameras In or around bedding. Your just going to pressure them and there going to know your on to them.

I would focus on food. And funnels.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Joe™
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:39 am

If you just want some inventory. Make a licking branch out on a field edge. By using some pre-orbital gland. They'll be hit mostly at night. But you won.t mess up your beds/bedding areas.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:16 am

My thoughts on finding bucks and bedding areas. To me it is a no brainier, to put cameras up where you want to learn some things about a bed, bedding area, transition area etc. The problem with most guys.... they want instant results. Then learn nothing by checking the cameras too often.

Set it and forget it. Get some intel put together for the up coming years. :think: I have two cameras up in bedding areas right now "to learn" not to hunt!! The better you manage your cameras the better intel you can get from them. I will pull the cards in late November not having touched them for 6-8 months.

I am going to learn something from these cameras, even if the cameras produce nothing!! :think: Lot of guys use licking branches to hang a camera in front of. I do think with the no bait laws this is the way to go. I hang my cameras mostly on trails.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”