Mature buck opportunities in a season?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
ozzz

Re: Mature buck opportunities in a season?

Unread postby ozzz » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:45 am

A few 3.5 and maybe one or two 4.5 + if I'm lucky.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:38 am

Depends on how many I know of. If I know of a buck(s), I will have an encounter, or two a season with said buck(s). Not always a kill opportunity but I lay daylight eyes on him and see what he's doing and where he's going. Since finding the beast my success rate on encounters and the number of encounters has improved exponentially.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:37 am

Maybe 2 bucks a year, that are 4.5 or older. The one I have my radar out for has not shown this year yet. :cry: He will be 7.5 this year. We will see what happens. I'm actually surprised he has not been killed by other hunters.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:47 am

Depends on how you define a mature buck. For me that's a 5+ year old buck, and I am lucky to see one a year. I see, and pass, many 3 or 4 year olds but that next age structure is hard to get on. This year is already a success as I have 1 5.5 year old buck in trail cam... whether he walks by is another story.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:45 am

Dewey wrote:My main areas near home I see on average 2-3 truly mature bucks per season on stand but not all of them are in shooting range so I suppose not always really considered an "opportunity". My best years by far were 2008-2012 and my opportunities on stand were at least double my average. That was the result of EAB and the age structure being older due to bucks being passed. I hated having to shoot does to get a sticker but can't argue with the resulting buck quality then.

Up in far Northern WI and UP of MI I have only seen maybe 5-6 fully mature bucks in over 20 years of hunting up there. Much different world in the northwoods especially in recent years. Seen a good number of 3 year olds but beyond that gets really tough.

My northern WI/UP numbers arent much better. It's difficult to get on a legit mature. Very few make it past 3.5.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:52 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Dewey wrote:My main areas near home I see on average 2-3 truly mature bucks per season on stand but not all of them are in shooting range so I suppose not always really considered an "opportunity". My best years by far were 2008-2012 and my opportunities on stand were at least double my average. That was the result of EAB and the age structure being older due to bucks being passed. I hated having to shoot does to get a sticker but can't argue with the resulting buck quality then.

Up in far Northern WI and UP of MI I have only seen maybe 5-6 fully mature bucks in over 20 years of hunting up there. Much different world in the northwoods especially in recent years. Seen a good number of 3 year olds but beyond that gets really tough.

My northern WI/UP numbers arent much better. It's difficult to get on a legit mature. Very few make it past 3.5.

You guys are way ahead of me in Maine!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:52 am

1 about every 2-3 years I'll go Wow!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:24 am

It sounds like I am in the majority so far. Makes me feel better.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:50 am

Still waiting on a mature buck opportunity on MI public land. I think i'm getting close though...
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:12 am

Probably 3 a season. Gotta be a 3 year old or older.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:34 am

May be one or two a year if I'm lucky! In my option if you shoot a 115-130 class on public land in Wisconsin you're doing well. I did see the biggest buck of my life last season he was probably mid 140's.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:57 am

Not many, I'm still learning this game. Maybe this year will be my year :lol:

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:44 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Not many, I'm still learning this game. Maybe this year will be my year :lol:

Who you think your fooling? :lol:

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:19 pm

I'm still waiting for the JM podcast!

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:51 am

Location is a huge factor. I know the age structure of the deer herd I hunt is good. I don't get very many opportunities at MATURE bucks either, just the defintion of mature is different here due to age structure...last year I had three encounters with bucks that I knew were 4+ years old in 20 bow hunts. I had half a dozen more encounters with what I think were 2 and 3 year olds, there are a lot of 2 and 3 year olds around here with the good age structure. If I had a big exclusive access hunting estate, I would be talking about targeting 5 year olds, maybe older...its all relative.

In higher pressure areas, a person might try to succeed with 3 year old bucks and IMO they should be darn proud of that. Heck some places 2 year olds are top end. The reason more big bucks get shot in Kansas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio is NOT that we are better hunters than guys in Michigan, PA, Maine!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”