Wasps

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckshot20
500 Club

Wasps

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:35 am

I was off early today so I figured I would go check a couple rut spots and shore up some entry and exit. On my 3 spot check I pushed over some palmettos and found a giant wasp nest. Well they also found me. My ear in particularly. So I'm here with a swollen ear and just felt like doing a bit of whining.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Wasps

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:01 am

Hopefully an Advil or two will help you!
For the uninitiated - we lose one or two folks each year to wasps/yellow jackets in the woods, often involving swamp buggies.

Was walking some palmettos with a co-worker, doing a site reconnaissance last November and he found a wasp/yellow jacket nest in the palmettos. I put it to him being in a rush, he basically pushed the fronds aside and let them swing into the back of his head. He set a new 100 yard dash record and even hit a small sapling while doing it - all I could see was palms moving until he hit the tree and it swayed way over and back up. Screaming the whole way... I finally got over to him and beat the bees off with other palm fronds - he was in rough shape.

Worst potential encounter for me was a ground nest of yellow jackets in middle GA. Found a canebrake rattler and the subterranean wasps within 50 feet of each other - I never did hunt in that part of the lease! The snake was along side a game trail, in a ball with his head facing the trail, I saw 2 or 3 wasps go down into a rotted stump and peered in to see what was up - the little buggers were already massing for the attack!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:17 am

A ball cap is a pretty good defense for those flying biting bugs.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:08 am

I will be fine, I'm not allergic to anything. I just wanted to pout a little. Lol

Stanley they came out of nowhere. Millions of them I tell ya.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:23 am

Ground Hornets are the worst!
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:57 pm

My record for an afternoon hunt was 3 ground wasp nests, stepped in one and set a land speed record. I've yet to come across a venomous snake in the woods but my buddy sat on a 4' timber rattler while turkey hunting. Thankfully it was very early and cool out because had that snake not been so lethargic he would've gotten tagged.

I really can't wait to move North, I love the folks down here but the critters & heat/humidity take a toll on you
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:02 pm

I am more scared of those little buggers than a horror movie murderer. Got blasted back in 11 by the small German yellow jackets that live in the ground and even at the mention of bees I feel bad for you

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:49 pm

I've always been told if you don't mess with them, they'll leave you alone. But for me, it seems everything is considered messing with them. I'm not fond of them
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:58 am

I get hit by yellow jackets or wasps and here is what I do.

A couple of ingredients will take out the pain,

1 Meat tenderizer - mix meat tenderizer with a few drops of water to make a paste
or
2 Juice from an onion - cut an onion in half and rub it on the sting location
or
3 Benadryl cream will stop the itch
and
4 take bendryl if the area is swollen to stop the allergy effects
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:10 am

We used to use baking soda and water paste.

Never heard about the onion - will try to remember it.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:47 am

Me and wasps don't get along too well. The last time I got stung they came out of a metal gate I was opening and got me on the hand. My hand was the size of a softball and I had to go get steroids to make the swelling go down.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:49 pm

Ive stepped into a couple yellow jacket ground nests in the past talk about feeling like Carl Lewis running and still got stung on my legs. Now I've got some wasp nests in my tree tubes that covers my trees I planted. Means SOB's

Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:13 pm

I have a funny story for you guys....A few years ago (back when I was a field edge hunter) I found a white-faced hornet nest hanging from a tree limb along the field edge I used to walk to a stand. First we tried throwing rocks at the nest, and it just made them mad. A little while later myself and 2 friends had the brilliant idea of getting a running start and "jousting" the nest with a large tree limb. Again they just got mad and we were chased. For some reason my friend's gut reaction was to actually pull out his pistol when being chased by furious hornets, I started laughing so hard I tripped and fell. Our 3rd attempt was to drive at a high speed in my truck along the field edge and ram the nest with my windshield....well we underestimated the height of the hanging nest and just got the tip...hornets were out for blood but we were safe in the cab. We then realized we had maxed out our efforts with what we currently had with us, and decided to drive to my other buddy's house for his shotgun. A couple 10 yd shots with a shotgun and that nest was blown to pieces and hornet guts all over the ground.

Moral of the story: A shotgun is more effective than a hand gun, vehicle, rock, or spear against any stinging flying insects. And hornet nests are stronger than you think!
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:20 pm

gjs4 wrote:I am more scared of those little buggers than a horror movie murderer. Got blasted back in 11 by the small German yellow jackets that live in the ground and even at the mention of bees I feel bad for you

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Have had a similar experience, but didn't notice them till they were inside my pant legs. Never ran and striped my clothes off so fast in my life!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:33 pm

One day I went in my shed to get my lawn mower. Walked in and heard this weird humming sound but went in anyway. The humming got louder and turned to my left to see a large hornet nest inches from my face with the meanest looking wasps I ever seen starring to file out the opening. I jumped back and they went into attack mode and chased me across the yard. Didn't think I could still run that fast. :o

Grabbed a can of wasp/hornet spray and a broom then waged an all out war on them. Probably not the smartest thing I have ever done but I won the battle without getting stung once.

They came in thru a small opening under the roof. Nothing a little silicone couldn't fix. To this day I still pause to look left and right every time before walking into that shed. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”