Glassing nice bucks on unscouted land

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GFAR100

Glassing nice bucks on unscouted land

Unread postby GFAR100 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:13 am

Hey Guys,
So I was driving along a backroad the other night at dusk, not actually planning on scouting but I was coming up on a field, anyway I slowed down a little and sure enough there were some deer in the field, and I start looking more and I see a real nice buck. Thing is I didn't even know anything about this location and now I want to try and scout it to find out where this buck might be bedding. But we are in the middle of summer I don't really want to just go walking all around in the woods near that field as I don't want to scare him out. So my question is when you guys stumble upon a buck like this while glassing on some land your not familiar with, whats some steps you can take thereafter to hunt him. Thanks again!

PK_
500 Club

Re: Glassing nice bucks on unscouted land

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:43 am

If your season opens sept. Just keep glassing as often as you can and see where he is coming from.

If your season opens oct it can be tough. He could stay put or be a couple miles away.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
JohnFunn

Unread postby JohnFunn » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:52 am

Ive been wondering the same thing...i like what PK said but ive also heard dan say if you need intel get in there and get it...i suppose it would bepend on what time the buck was entertaining the field? Like just at or before dusk.. you wouldnt need to get in there and know EXACTLY where his bed is...but if he is entering the field an hour or more after dark THEN go in and get the intel? Right?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:37 am

Sounds like a good place for long range summer glassing from an observation stand. Might be able to see much more than you can from the road and may even catch where he is bedding if close or at the very least get a better idea of his staging area. If the wind is right and you don't scent up the bucks travel route some great intel can be picked up that can really pay off for opening day.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:45 am

Like pk said try to see where he's coming from. Then go in there during a heavy rain or wind and find the bedding habitat. In velvet they're arent has spooky so he probably won't blow the area .Bucks in the summer sometime will avoid thick cover because of their sensitive velvet. My areas in summer they like mature woods next to lush beans. They will bed in the open understory for air movement. Sometimes by October 1 they are changed.

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:52 am

I've got a really nice buck I seen from the road here and I was fighting with myself on this very subject. What it finally came down to was if I did end up kicking him it didn't really hurt me at all, since I didn't know he was there in the first place during my late season scouting. So I glassed him 3 times in two weeks from the road. Then last week during one of our late evening showers I jumped in and found what I am pretty sure is one of his wind dependent beds. I have seen him once since that trip in and using some topos I have a decent idea of where I think he might have one of his more primary beds.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:03 am

Some good pointers so far. The first thing I would be doing is getting the maps out and seeing if I couldn't figure out anything from studying them. Then keep close tabs on him.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:11 am

Mibowfreak wrote:Some good pointers so far. The first thing I would be doing is getting the maps out and seeing if I couldn't figure out anything from studying them. Then keep close tabs on him.

Good point and can't believe I forgot to add that. :doh:

Cyber scouting could really narrow down potential bedding areas and travel corridors to that field.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”