My scouting experience today along with questions

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jcz

My scouting experience today along with questions

Unread postby jcz » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:08 am

Ok so I am nowhere near the hunters you guys are but learning everyday I visit this site. I learned to move the woods slowly and that helped me today. .I went out to my private land today that is only 40 acres mixed with mature hardwoods young trees. The property to my left is think brier brush. The property to my right is just a grass field . The back and the left of the property has small stream running through I haven't been to the property since March 25th when I planted clover. It was my first time with a food plot. We haven't had any rain in 8 weeks now so could really use it. As I was checking my trail cameras I was getting a little disappointed with only seeing couple does and fawn. I started heading to the back of the property where the mature trees are with m other cameras. As I was walking up on a camera I see a small buck bedded down in the shade under tall timber. Along with him was a beautiful 8 or 10 point. They laid there for a while just watching me I moved ever so slowly trying to get out of there without spooking. They got up trotted a little and tried circling around to get a better wind of me. It was amazing to watch these deer not spooked but wanted that wind to figure what was going on. I snuck out of there and they stayed put. I never got to check those other cams cause I wanted to get out before they spooked. Now I seen this deer last year but never had a good set up for a shot. I know he wont make It past this year shotgun so I really want him this year. My questions are these.
1- Can I ever go back there again before the season starts I do not want to blow him out. I really not sure where he comes from nor what time he comes through there. I think he beds on the other property in the really thick brush but there are several trails going from thickets to hardwoods I still need to pick my tree for my stand.
2- You all say scout on a rain day but what if were just not getting rain do you still wait.
I feel I need to put more time there to figure him out but don't want to keep going back there, should I wait another month or not at all?
Thanks for your feedback.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: My scouting experience today along with questions

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:00 am

Its a tough question to answer without seeing the property, and even then its a judgement call. The more the pressure, the less likely you get him, but you still need to know where to hunt...

I wouldn't say "quit going back there" but I would say do so with caution... Is there a large tree, or area where you can observe and pic trees and entrance without going in from a distance?

If it were me, depending on the thickness, I would either go in now and pick out some trees, or just wait till hunting season then go in, pick the tree and hunt him that day... Probably the last option.
jcz

Re: My scouting experience today along with questions

Unread postby jcz » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks Dan I was thinking observation stand. I could sneak in through the open field early morning and set up a stand on the corner of property but that's only about 100 yards from where Ive seen them today at Noon. I could try and post a pic of the property.
Thanks for the response.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”