Effect of coyotes?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Effect of coyotes?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:59 am

Does anyone ever observe that deer movement is impacted by the presence of coyotes? Does it impact your hunting and how you approach an area?

One example I know that I think the deer move in a particular way due to coyotes is a farm where the deer almost always seem to transit from one ag field to another, they go through the middle of the field as opposed to along a wood line. This holds true even in winter when the ag fields are bare. In fact they appear to be less anxious/nervous in the middle of a field than they do the woods.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Effect of coyotes?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:43 am

I've seen areas effected by coyotes. I had a thread back in winter about it that Dan and others had some good responses. I've seen coyote hairs in buck beds

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:23 am

I had one area in the marsh a few years back that was really impacted by coyotes. Never had a problem seeing deer in various spots in that area until the coyote sign showed a major increase. It was actually pretty crazy and never seen it that bad. Every night walking out I would hear them singing like crazy around me and deer sightings went down to zero. The following year the coyotes moved on and deer sightings showed a major increase again. The deer don't like being harassed by them and will move on if it's bad enough. Some places they don't have a choice and coexist but if they have the other option they will relocate.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:09 pm

Huge impact...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:22 am

Like Ed- I say huge.

I do think the area and subsequent deer/coyote densities have a lot to do with it though. Here (wNY) they pound fawns and when the snow is deep and has a crust they go after adults. Have found a few deer with the a$$ eaten out and the rest remaining so I also feel they're more wasteful or kill happy than described.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:08 am

Big impact for sure.. The areas I usually hunt, when I start seeing coyote tracks everywhere it is usually time to relocate. More coyote tracks=less deer sign from what I have seen.
-Rick
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:27 am

Yep huge impact. I was hunting a lease a few years ago and yotes were bad. I had 4 stands deep in the thick crap and one that I had popped up in the middle of the pine rows for me and my son to sit. got to the end of the season after being seriously irritated by not seeing anything hardly at all and me and the kid sat his stand and had multiple deer coming through the middle of the rows skittish as all get out. Finally clicked for me why they weren't in the good funnels in the thick stuff that year.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”