HELP! CYBERSCOUT FOR A PENNSY BEAST!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GloryDaysDesign
Facebook: twitter: @leestrohe

HELP! CYBERSCOUT FOR A PENNSY BEAST!

Unread postby GloryDaysDesign » Tue May 24, 2016 9:55 am

Property lines are in the thin neon green.

I have recently gained access to a 110 acre farm in Pennsylvania, that is separated by a pretty busy/fast road. The northern half of this farm is abundantly AG land which will be beans this year. The northern side is 62 acres. The southern half has a smaller upper field which will be oats this year. The middle of this southern section is a pond and a food plot that we are putting in. This southern half is 48 acres. Further south it is all timber, dropping lower in elevation until it hits another small property, and then it hits a small lake, muck, swampy area. The lake, as I am told by a few local trappers, is impenetrable, and full of snakes. I wanted to check it out from the southern train track access, but the land owner whom I am friends with, told me it's a jungle and very tough to walk.

The surrounding Northern propert treestands (marked in blue dots) are all out sniper towers, used during rifle most of the time. The bottom most blue dot is a ladderstand though, used for bow. The neighbors have shot some big deer, but I believe they just mow them down when they can as well. Definitely no QDM mindset. The lower magenta dot is a climber attached to a tree, All the stands are unfortunately on our borders it seems.

The yellow dot is our new food plot which is a 1/4 acre to give you some scale. We are planting a clover/oat mix. Pond is about a 1/2 acre in size. The orange dot is the middle Ag field is oats, the red dot is beans, the blue dots are sniper towers, the magenta dot is the climber.

My friend and I have tried to make our own bedding areas by doing some Timber Stand Improvement, this is shown by the white dashes in the souther property... we cut some trees down, and tried to get some sun shining on the forest floor to develop new undergrowth. We tried to create two mini jungles here. I believe we will be focusing a lot of our attention here? Even further south is an area that is referred to as a Dam we don't own. It is a gross swampy mud-like shallow lake. On the other side of that are train tracks.

I do believe there are a lot of things that could hold some big bucks in this area. Swamp, Water, AG, Timber, I do know of two 150s and 170 that have been killed here in the past 7 years. And that is beyond huge for this area. To the left of the pond we are planting a foodplot of clover/oats.

Topo Lines 20ft! Pond for reference in the middle.

Topo lines are 40ft lines! Pond for reference in the middle.

Here is a huge poster I designed for the property owner! No, we aren't sponsored but I thought the logos looked cool!

GloryDaysDesign

Re: HELP! CYBERSCOUT FOR A PENNSY BEAST!

Unread postby GloryDaysDesign » Wed May 25, 2016 4:38 am

More topo. Pond is in the middle for reference point.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed May 25, 2016 1:03 pm

About half way up on the skinny rectangle to the upper left of property there is a nice transition line where two different vegetations meet, I would scout that. There is another transition at the tip where property ends. There also looks to be some marshy area on the bottom of the property. It doesnt look like its his but might but to the right bottom corner. Id check that. That point right by the 600 looks like it could be a hill style bed. Cool map !!That would look sweet in a man cave !!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
GloryDaysDesign

Unread postby GloryDaysDesign » Wed May 25, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks @OldRank! The poster map will be a good tool to mark all of our stands dependent on wind! Its also dry erase!

We will def give those transitions a look as we have def overlooked them. Just may be tough to get in and out of there unscathed. In my opinion I think some big deer are in the marshy area. I am just not sure
how to go about hunting them... I guess just hope they leave the marsh bed and come to land? I wish I would have brought this map to the scouting workshop in 2014 but I didn't have permission then!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed May 25, 2016 2:12 pm

The very bottom left corner looks good to me too. Its close to the marsh n looks like the lay of the land creates a little funnel where the swamp land juts up. There also looks like a creek empties into the marsh there. I dont know if you can get close enough to the beds but I would think some rut cruisers would come by there. Also a couple inside points on the little field that's up into the top woods.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
GloryDaysDesign

Unread postby GloryDaysDesign » Wed May 25, 2016 3:01 pm

Here is a closer look at the lower left corner. Would you believe me if I told you that is near a mini plane airport? But a great deer funnel for sure!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu May 26, 2016 10:45 pm

I would also check the 2 small points above the pond. I have found several beds by small an large ponds this year if there is good ground cover or it was an over looked area on things that show up on topo an don't show up on topo maps.

TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu May 26, 2016 10:47 pm

It don't have to be a big elevation change by water is what I have found this year so far.

GloryDaysDesign

Unread postby GloryDaysDesign » Tue May 31, 2016 2:03 pm

Great advice, we need to check this area out more thoroughly. I could definitely see them being in there.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
GloryDaysDesign

Unread postby GloryDaysDesign » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:02 am

Hey guys, what do you think! Thanks! - GDD

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:10 am

I will try and take a look tonight, if I forget remind me..
GloryDaysDesign

Unread postby GloryDaysDesign » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:01 am

Thanks Dan! But please take your time and continue celebrating RatSlayers marriage! Congrats to the Slayer of Rats!!!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:38 am

the 1st thing that catches my eye is the swamp below your property... It looks to be off your property, but still close by. I would set up
near your border on trails coming from the swamp. The north west corner of the swamp appears to have the best bedding features:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:57 am

No promises, but the 1st places I would look on the lower half are the steeper spots I marked in red.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:13 pm

i LIKE THE strip of tall trees that seem to be on a dike that I circled in red... i WOULD TAKE A CLOSE LOOK IN THAT AREA.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”