Too Much water !

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

deerhunterdon

Too Much water !

Unread postby deerhunterdon » Thu May 12, 2016 3:06 pm

Water levels are very high right now , too much rain. How in the world do I scout like this ? should I just quit spinning my wheels and wait for summer ? The fall Bedding area is underwater . ughhh. wont be long and the mosquito's will be terrible !

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Too Much water !

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:52 pm

I've had very similar circumstances last two years.... Do you have trail cameras? If so you can start with mineral licks until you find a couple you are after and then work them back (isolate the direction they travel to your cameras and keep moving them towards where he is coming from) over the summer to see where they are coming from. If you find a lot of pics right at sunrise and sunset at mineral sites then you are close to bedding/core area. Then use aerials and typos to isolate likely bedding areas. A few observation/glassing sits and you should be able to confirm and find suitable locations to set up when the time comes. Hope this helps.
Last edited by DaveT1963 on Fri May 13, 2016 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:52 pm

I've had very similar circumstances last two years.... Do you have trail cameras? If so you can start with mineral licks until you find a couple you are after and then work then back over the summer to see where they are coming from. If u find a lot ofg pics right at sunrise and sunset at mineral Sites then you are close. Then use aerials and typos to isolate likely bedding areas. A few observation/glassing sits and you should be in the game?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
deerhunterdon

Unread postby deerhunterdon » Fri May 13, 2016 1:38 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I've had very similar circumstances last two years.... Do you have trail cameras? If so you can start with mineral licks until you find a couple you are after and then work them back (isolate the direction they travel to your cameras and keep moving them towards where he is coming from) over the summer to see where they are coming from. If you find a lot of pics right at sunrise and sunset at mineral sites then you are close to bedding/core area. Then use aerials and typos to isolate likely bedding areas. A few observation/glassing sits and you should be able to confirm and find suitable locations to set up when the time comes. Hope this helps.

Good idea . Ive never used Trail cameras before, maybe its time to try them. anyone have suggestions on which one ?
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:40 am

deerhunterdon wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:I've had very similar circumstances last two years.... Do you have trail cameras? If so you can start with mineral licks until you find a couple you are after and then work them back (isolate the direction they travel to your cameras and keep moving them towards where he is coming from) over the summer to see where they are coming from. If you find a lot of pics right at sunrise and sunset at mineral sites then you are close to bedding/core area. Then use aerials and typos to isolate likely bedding areas. A few observation/glassing sits and you should be able to confirm and find suitable locations to set up when the time comes. Hope this helps.

Good idea . Ive never used Trail cameras before, maybe its time to try them. anyone have suggestions on which one ?

for mineral licks and for the money I don't think you can beat a Browning Strike force. for 10 bucks more you can get the dark ops. I have tried many brands and Browning does everything I want a camera to do and then some, at a very reasonable price and their Customer Service is top notch. When you start moving these down the trails to pin point core areas you will want fast trigger and recovery and good detection zones. Once again Browning has both.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”