New to the site any help is greatly appreciated !. Scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wolfofmibu

New to the site any help is greatly appreciated !. Scouting

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:57 am

So I started using the beast at the end of gun season last year and stumbled upon it due to frustration and search of answers. I started hunting heavy about two years ago after my father passed away. So now all I want to do is be in the woods. We've always hunted together but did it the bait pile way . So after reading information on the site . My tactics took a complete 360.. I understand I won't be able to start on mature bucks but I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction and help pick apart this map. I've never shot a buck with my bow yet and I'm hoping to get it done this year . So if anybody could help I would appreciate it :). Thanks in advance . The orange lines are the boundaries .Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Wolfofmibu

Re: New to the site any help is greatly appreciated !. Scout

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:59 am

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:49 am

WELCOME!!! Do you know the dominant winds for the year and hunting months?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:55 am

WELCOME! I am not from your neck of the woods so I would for sure try and PM someone from your area and get some better input. Im just going to go w basics and what I would do if I was scouting your place as a new area iv never been. Also, its good you posted your dominant wind, but I just finished my scouting and I have found places for every wind direction - so I will everything that looks good to me:

I am not the best w ariels, but I would walk those transition lines and power line and catch a track or find the trails and mark them. Later if you find beds on the ridges, you can kind of connect the dots.

I could definitely see deer bedding watching that trail and maybe bedding down wind of it. Also I would for sure check out the water holes if there isn't very much other around.

I really like those defined steep points coming off that bluff above the creek! Also, be sure to check those saddles that connect the ridges. I missed a few so be sure to cyber scout more. I like those straight line funnels I marked.

I did miss a few spots man, I still miss spots on my maps and I look at them everyday... if you have any questions fire away, but again hopefully someone else will comment or you can get ahold of a guy in your specific terrain.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:16 am

Awesome!, thanks a lot darkknight54.. This helps a lot . I'm scouting this all this weekend. I'll be sure to check almost everything you marked . I'll continue to look over these maps until then. Hopefully I find some good stuff and I'll post back here :). Thanks again!.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:57 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr0w4_H ... hIuxupra-v
This is Bowhunter15 on the site, must watch before you start scouting and be sure to subscribe! He is excellent! Also be sure to check out Hunting BEast youtube channel. like I said try and touch base w someone if possible. Good Luck!
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:02 pm

I will just say from my experience I have found the best buck bedding on subtle points that might not show up on a map. They tend to be steeper and sheltered by more obvious points extending out past them. It seems to help shelter bucks from view and have more consistency with the thermal tunnel. What I mean is the wind tunnel doesn't fluctuate as much up and down a steeper point as it might on gentler sloping points.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:54 pm

Welcome to the beast! If you haven't yet, the best all time tactical thread is loaded with information! And as darknight stated bowhunter15's YouTube channel as well as the beast are great. Good luck this year!

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:07 pm

blizzardhunter wrote:I will just say from my experience I have found the best buck bedding on subtle points that might not show up on a map. They tend to be steeper and sheltered by more obvious points extending out past them. It seems to help shelter bucks from view and have more consistency with the thermal tunnel. What I mean is the wind tunnel doesn't fluctuate as much up and down a steeper point as it might on gentler sloping points.

x2. A lot of the topographical defined "bedding points" are likely to have doe bedding though, which is still good to know about come late October and November.

Also, If that section of the North Country Trail gets heavy traffic, I would skew my scouting efforts to the west more, farther away from the trail.
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:17 pm

Thanks guys for all the input and information!. I did some scouting this weekend . I found a lot of doe bedding.. 3-5 beds in a circle like how Dan describes . I may have found one buck bed. But nothing really showing a bed or dirt spot . I know with the trained eye some could be located better .. I found ALOT OF old /new rubs and scrapes on the 1/3 elevation on the west end of the property. The water hole also had cluster of rubs all around it and a few scrapes. That's where I found a buck bed to the bluff to the east of it.. It was a lone bed with a few rubs facing different directions . Its nice to find some sign!. Only had time to scout the property with the power line.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:07 am

Good job, I found a spot last week that had 10 does together. Keep looking you will find them. When you get along that 1/3 - keep looking for that sign, obstacles, terrain features, thick / shaded areas, deer trails, ect..
If you get crunched for time start getting picky about which spots you want to check. When you catch a track or large rubs - try and check map and back track to bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”