Free Map Viewer With Winter Time Aerials

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KLEMZ

Free Map Viewer With Winter Time Aerials

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:13 am

I am always on the hunt for as many different aerial views as I can find of my hunting areas. It seems each image offers some unique information, but my favorites for most areas are pictures taken with no leaves on the trees. These pictures tend to highlight density changes in vegetation better than leaf on pictures. That is HUGE! I would rather look at at a low resolution leafless picture than a super high resolution picture of a sea of green leaves.

This link is to a website that seems to take a lot of pictures, and is intended to be used by businesses for GIS applications I think. However, you can use the "viewer" page to see all the aerials they have. Most areas I have checked out have wintertime pictures!
http://www.terraserver.com/view.asp?cx= ... 5&sdrt=jax

You can type in a nearby town and get close to your area, then scroll around. Once you get to your hunting area, you can view the different aerials. I like to find a useful aerial and then zoom up (Ctrl-+). Hold the "Ctrl" button down and tap the"+" button 5 times. Now the view will be full screen and you can scroll around (left click,drag).

This could be helpful for hill country big woods terrain where you are looking for points with thicker vegetation.....or areas of the country that google earth tends to ignore. Anyways, hope it is helpful to some one.

By the way, please enjoy the view of frozen Lambeau Field!!

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Free Map Viewer With Winter Time Aerials

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:35 am

That's cool. Terraserver was the first place I looked ar aerials about 14 years ago.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:52 am

I haven't used Terraserver in years. It has improved for sure since the early days. I like all the winter shots they have now. Thanks for the post KLEMZ. It looks like I will be using Terraserver again.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:53 am

Yeah, me too! Those old black and white photos are still one of the most useful tools i have for cyber scouting. The only place that still seems to have access to them is Google Earth.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:11 pm

Hawthorne wrote:That's cool. Terraserver was the first place I looked ar aerials about 14 years ago.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Ha! Me too TerraServer was the original, funny how we all happened to be all over that stuff way back when. No luck with winter photos in my area.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:08 am

Worth mentioning is that you need to zoom to 500km or closer to have the full list of aerials available for that location.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”