Finding beds where YOU hunt

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Finding beds where YOU hunt

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:33 am

DeerDylan wrote:This is a super good thread. Thanks fellas!

In the hills I've mainly been scouting I find a lot of beds on small humps,flat spots just big enough for a buck to lay. Especially in the real steep stuff where it's hard to walk for a human but a buck can side hill it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Funny you mentioned this. Yesterday I was on a steep slope and saw a shelf created by a blowdown. It was midway down and was worth a look.
It had tracks right by it but not great sign. I took the time to mark it on gps and remove all the deadfall and sticks that might be uncomfortable to lay on.

Aside from that I found great sign on the steep,narrow fingers in that area. Maybe even consider the bedding and access textbook. We shall see.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:57 am

When I'm scouting on public land I find areas that seem to have the right ingredients but either lack sign or active beds. Often times there is even areas where I can tell the deer used to use it more. If it's cold like that and I keep looking I usually run into Hunter sign.

I can tell places that have gotten hunted hard even if I don't find the actual stand or Hunter litter. The place I scouted yesterday has one 100 acre +/- crop field right by the road and 200-300 acres of swamp and heavy thicket. There a lot of deer trails leading to that field from the swamp and then tire field was lined with illegal ladder stands. Any deer that comes out in the open in daylight is dead.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:46 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Right now we are starting on green up. Bad for me,my scouting is not where I want it to be. Thanks to all the help here I'm really applying some thought to scouting.
Boots on the ground for ME is the highest priority. Another hour, another mile,another Ridge,whatever will add experience. After 3 years here I'm in a great place for future success.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I feel the same way. Green up came way too soon this year and my an injury put me a month behind. I have a lot of catching up to do now. One good thing about it scouting as much as I would like... I get to practice my run and gun on a couple places. I also will have to do a lot more observation sits than expected.

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
J Gilbert
Facebook: Instagram: Jonathan Gilbert

Unread postby J Gilbert » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:40 am

Old thread but a good one

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”