Ah-ha

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdaukontas

Ah-ha

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:41 am

Was out scouting around a 10 acre swamp when I came to an old logging road that skirted the swamp. It looked like a good edge, so I walked it to find a scrape line working down the trail. While looking closer at the surroundings, I realized a permanent stand located on the top of a knob near the scrapes about 30 yards away. I decided to look around a little more and noticed that there was a very dense thicket about 60 yards from the stand that had a very faint trail leading into it. I decided to move into the thicket and behind the first blowdown I found a single, well used bed.

Interestingly the bed seems to be located perfectly downwind from the stand on any west wind which dominates my region. It also is located downwind from the scrapes. Made me realize that this bed is not only used to scent check the scrapes, but keep tabs on the hunter in this area. It made me think about how close bucks bed to permanent stands to keep tabs, so I moved over to the other side of the property where my father has a permanent stand and look around. I looked for the closest blowdown near the stand on the downwind side, and there, right where I suspected, was a cleared out spot down to the dirt.

Anyone else notice this?

TNstalker

Re: Ah-ha

Unread postby TNstalker » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:18 am

Yeah I place I have access to but haven't hunted yet samething 60 yards south of the ladder stand 5 big beds they can see them park an smell them on a north or northeast wind only spot I've noticed it. But I also haven't looked for it. Kinda like finding beds near parking lots or access trails on public.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:41 am

I see it everywhere I hunt in Michigan on private and public. Never noticed it before I joined the beast. Always thought deer wouldn't bed within 200 yds of human activity. They will bed close if the cover is thick and they have escape routes

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:06 am

Yup, I see this often actually on a private piece I hunt that has others on it. I believe most of the hunters have zero clue that a buck bed is there. If you learn to pattern the other hunters in the area, you can definitely use them to your advantage.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:45 am

Yes I haves a noticed it a couple times. Another thing I have noticed is if I walk through an area 1 day to scout or set a stand, when I come back the next day I will kick up a buck that was not bedded there the day before, almost as if he smelled where I came in and out and bedded there to see if I was coming back. Had this happen too many times for it to be a coincidence.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:17 am

This is an awesome thread, time to do a little more detective work!

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”