Please help before scouting thursday

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Matt3

Please help before scouting thursday

Unread postby Matt3 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:30 am

Hey guys I am headed out to a few the spots I have the ability to hunt. These are public areas but more difficult to get to. Please help me out and give me any ideas on where you would look for beds, approaches, possible stand locations etc. I will be using a canoe for water access where needed.

Thanks guys.

Matt

The first set of pics is of an area that I have been to before, and a friend of mine was able to kill a decent sized 8 pointer. It was walking down my point going into the wind. He held up about 50 yards out then crossed over to my friends point where he was killed. The orange dot was my stand location, the gray is his travel path and the X is where he was shot. The blue is a large pond with a ton of deer sign around it. The pink circle is where we park. We have to go through a bottom that no one seems to use to get to that area. I am not sure if anyone even knows you can access the area that way. Most people park on the other side and are unwilling to walk the couple miles to get to the pond.

The second set of pictures is an area that we use a canoe to access. You can go by land but much more difficult, a far walk and most if not all people do not go to this area. I have hunted this area, have found two beds and a really nice shed. The field at the top is thick/nasty stuff that is near impossible to actually walk through. The two red dots are rough locations of the beds. The green dot is where the shed was found.

The third set of pictures is an area that I have never scouted or hunted before. It may be a total bust, but the only access available is by boat. I have no information other than it looks like there shouldn't be many people on it because of access and its an area I think will hold big deer. The blue area I marked is nasty swampy, cat tails/marshy area. There is a river about 20-25 yards wide that goes over your head before getting to the marsh. I do not believe but have no solid intel on if anyone crosses there to hunt, but I doubt it.

Thanks again guys for any help. These spots can only be hunted up until about a week before the rut, then it is closed down.... All hunting will be done early season from late September to the first week or so of November. I look forward to seeing what you guys can come up with.

Matt

Lockdown

Re: Please help before scouting thursday

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:33 am

I'll let the hill country guys help you with the topos... I'm a flat lander and would be guessing.

That said I would definitely check out the 3 islands off the point in the bottom set of pics.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:47 am

Lockdown wrote:I'll let the hill country guys help you with the topos... I'm a flat lander and would be guessing.

That said I would definitely check out the 3 islands off the point in the bottom set of pics.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Those caught my eye as well, but I'm also a flatlander! Seems we like the islands!!!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:47 am

What is your dominant winds for the year? Example: NW / SE
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:31 am

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:39 am

Very cool looking areas! Kind of jealous... yeas def check those islands if you can get to them. It is hard to tell you setups wo finding the spots first. It was a little tough to mark your map better bc the topo lines were little fuzzy, but you get the idea. Check all those ridges that have multiple points and unique shapes. Especially, the bottom picture, the one closest to the corner where the Islands are! I would also walk where the ridges meet water, if you don't find what your looking for at 1/3 elevation. good luck
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:57 am

Thank you for the info. I plan on checking the islands when I scout. I have attached a picture that shows the normal wind directions. Any other help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”