Reading sign

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

warhog23
Facebook: corey policaro

Re: Reading sign

Unread postby warhog23 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:19 pm

stash59 wrote:
blizzardhunter wrote:I've been noticing the role scrapes play in an area that is mainly timber with lower deer numbers. In farm country where I usually hunt scrapes are everywhere and very seldom visited in daylight even by younger bucks. However, where deer numbers are low bucks and does of all age classes seem to frequent scrapes more even in daylight. I believe it is because the numbers are lower so the deer rely on them more to communicate.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Also most low deer density areas. Have good buck to doe ratios. A key for using tactics like rattling, calling, scents and scrape hunting!!

Depends on pressure too...i live in PA, trust me i know... Dont want say the obvious but pressure is so key to me where i hunt that everytime i see sign or think about deer movement or even when i feel when its a good time to call (which is almost never over here) i think back on pressure... Heck this past season (in a spot with low deer numbers but i knew of a dandy buck from sightings) as i walked to my stand one day i walked inbetween two known hunters stands, and they just so happened to be both hunting they both started rattling at the sounds of my footsteps... what a couple of dodo brains i thought

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:32 pm

warhog23 wrote:
stash59 wrote:
blizzardhunter wrote:I've been noticing the role scrapes play in an area that is mainly timber with lower deer numbers. In farm country where I usually hunt scrapes are everywhere and very seldom visited in daylight even by younger bucks. However, where deer numbers are low bucks and does of all age classes seem to frequent scrapes more even in daylight. I believe it is because the numbers are lower so the deer rely on them more to communicate.

Also most low deer density areas. Have good buck to doe ratios. A key for using tactics like rattling, calling, scents and scrape hunting!!

Depends on pressure too...i live in PA, trust me i know... Dont want say the obvious but pressure is so key to me where i hunt that everytime i see sign or think about deer movement or even when i feel when its a good time to call (which is almost never over here) i think back on pressure... Heck this past season (in a spot with low deer numbers but i knew of a dandy buck from sightings) as i walked to my stand one day i walked inbetween two known hunters stands, and they just so happened to be both hunting they both started rattling at the sounds of my footsteps... what a couple of dodo brains i thought

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I agree. The area I'm referring to doesn't really get a ton of pressure but when it does nobody goes deep. A grunt call at most for me but I'm iffy on that.

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:17 am

Most of my good bedding areas have been located over the course of a few years. Annually repeated sign is a big confidence builder that the bedding area is a favorite of the buck.

Also, finding huge tracks year after year in an area is proof positive that there is a secure area somewhere for him to grow old. Keeping detailed notes of every single big track location and direction, over time (years usually for me), and piecing the information together has lead me to my best mature buck secure areas. The track directions, in aggregate, point to the general area that you need to look. I used this method just yesterday to finally find a buck I was aware of in the area for a few years.

Large droppings (especially clumped), OF ASSORTED AGES in the bedding area, is important to find if it is his favorite area.

During springtime shedding, finding single hairs along his exit trails out of bedding has helped me stay on the trail many times.

I have noticed all the really mature buck bedding I know of has laying areas for the buck that are rather roomy. They don't like being jammed into a tight brushy cove (to protect sensitive velvet antlers?). If I do find what I think is buck bedding, and it's kind of tight, I write it off as younger bucks...but I still try to keep track of it to make sure I haven't missed something.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:45 am

Good thread, enjoyed reading!

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”