Custom maps for garmin gps

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sethg

Custom maps for garmin gps

Unread postby sethg » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:00 am

Just got an Oregon 600 in the mail yesterday. I have the Ohio onxmaps chip for it. Just wondering if anyone knows how to put aerial maps onto the gps, and if I can toggle between topo and aerial. I have done that in the past on an app on my cell phone, and was hoping to be able to do it on this gps.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm very green when it comes to handheld gps usage. This is my first unit, other than using my cell phone.

JackKnifeJake

Re: Custom maps for garmin gps

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:34 pm

If you got the garmin new you should have a free year of birdseye with it....download garmin basecamp and itll tell you how to do the rest...when you get the birdseye downloaded on you gps, the topo and aerial will overlay each other so you can see both at the same time...not sure if the birdseye aerial will show up with your onyx chip in though...ive never had one
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:56 pm

The best thing you can do for yourself is to watch the tutorials on Base Camp and you tube for your series of GPS.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:52 am

Find the videos where you overlay the jpeg (aerial) to google earth. Once you shape and size to google earth, you can export kml to garmin.

Pay attention to see if you have a file size issue with your unit.. Garmin 60 is limited to 100 tiles each 1 meg in size.

I found something that is pretty cool to use if you use a gps, arcgis explorer, and other aerial software.

clipper.missouri.edi this give you files that can be used for the gps, to overlay in google earth and to import into arcgis explorer.

There is a limit of 10000 acres.

What you do is select location by state or county or lat /long or zip.
Select Make map.

In the upper right hand of the aerial select define area and move the mouse to the area you want. (10000 acre limit)
Click left button of the mouse to draw square for the area.
Next click submit and it is going to put all this information into a zip file for you to download.
Once it is done processing, you download it to your pc for whatever use you want to use it.
Extract the zip jpgs, shp, gdb file contains raster files (aerials , topo) and soil data.

try it out, it may help someone. I found it by accident when reading about map window GIS it was following a subject called manure management program (mmp) - http://www.purdue.edu/agsoftware/mapwindow/
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:13 am

I used to make custom maps for my garmin but it was extremely time consuming. Gave that up recently and purchased Birdseye from garmin, $30 for the year. Pick up a 32gb sd card and you can load just about as many aerials as you want. $50 out the door and loading aerials is as easy as pie

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:42 am

Here is an older discussion related to this
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29863&p=408062&hilit=+google+earth+pro#p408062

The new garmin 600 series allow 500 tiles of custom maps now, which is five times more than the previous garmins.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:30 am

I wanted to add this video tutorial I made for another beast member. It describes one method of making aerials to put on your gamin. You can take advantage of Google Earth Pro (free now) and make custom aerials of ANY GE image. The HUGE advantage of using GE Pro vs standard GE is that the Pro version allows you to "screenshot" at a MUCH HIGHER RESOLUTION. This translates into much larger maps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELz110whDCE
sethg

Unread postby sethg » Tue May 31, 2016 1:17 pm

that is great KLEMZ! thanks. I'll be making use of your video!!!
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:27 pm

jmaas07 wrote:I used to make custom maps for my garmin but it was extremely time consuming. Gave that up recently and purchased Birdseye from garmin, $30 for the year. Pick up a 32gb sd card and you can load just about as many aerials as you want. $50 out the door and loading aerials is as easy as pie

When you uploaded the Birdseye did you keep all your previous way points or did everything reset?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue May 31, 2016 4:03 pm

Buckshot20 wrote:
jmaas07 wrote:I used to make custom maps for my garmin but it was extremely time consuming. Gave that up recently and purchased Birdseye from garmin, $30 for the year. Pick up a 32gb sd card and you can load just about as many aerials as you want. $50 out the door and loading aerials is as easy as pie

When you uploaded the Birdseye did you keep all your previous way points or did everything reset?

You keep all of your previous waypoints, nothing should reset

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue May 31, 2016 9:54 pm

jmaas07 wrote:
Buckshot20 wrote:

You keep all of your previous waypoints, nothing should reset

Sweet. Thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”