Veteran BEAST Help Needed - Beds Found - Hill Country

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Veteran BEAST Help Needed - Beds Found - Hill Country

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:05 am

Need some veteran help, insight, suggestions, anything that anyone is willing to help with and break a few things down. I'm looking for someone w little extra time for a few PMs on some map suggestions also. There have been alot of Hill Country threads lately, guess its that time of year! I have 4 full days in so far this off season and i should have about 5 more before green up. So far, I have basically speed scouted & found roughly 25 Deer Beds / 3 OK Buck Beds. But, the spots I circle and can't wait to get to while scouting have turned up the sign I expected and at least 1 buck bed - so that is a major confidence booster. I'm not sure I have found that mature buck bedroom this season yet... I found some decent ones on private last season - got to use a trail cam - targeted 2 bucks - wound up shooting the one that scored less (bc lack of width & barely legal shooting light) , but still respectable P&Y. I have not cyber scouted as well as I could have, I need to find the thicker areas. I do believe I have found at least 2 beds that at least will be P&Y (If not already). I also have underestimated bucks bedding lower & in the crevices of ridges. I know need to spend more time analyzing beds and choosing more stand spots. And i am currently reading about identifying food sources. Below I will post what I have done w details and questions. All of these areas are Public Land.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Veteran BEAST Help Needed - Beds Found - Hill Country

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:09 am

Buck Bed 1 -
*Fresh buck sign
*No Rubs
*Fresh Buck Sign
*Very large rubs below running parallel - RUT RUB
RUT?
*Possible doe bedding and just happened to have buck bed there day before?
*Rifle / Ladder Stand Near Location

View From Bed
Multiple Rubs of This Caliber Running Parallel - Downwind
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:13 am

Buck Bed 2 - Bumped Deer, Believe Buck. MAIN BED - SW CORNER - ORANGE DOT
*Doe bedding at lower levels. - you can see slight faded grassy opening towards bottom of area. There is a Rub line 100 yards down wind also which seemed to hook around corner of property towards bedding area. Which would explain rubs in / out of main targeted bed??
*Multiple beds on top. Believe bigger buck or same buck bedding further west on same chain ridge.
*Bedding w tree in front of bed - believe looking left side of tree NNW WIND???
*Stand approach and placement???

Rub In Bed

View From Bed - Believe Main Bedding Position is Looking to the LEFT of Tree
Last edited by <DK> on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:16 am

Buck Bed 4 - Well used - There is 2 Enter / Exit Trails BEAT TO DIRT leading up from creek directly to bed. Further west of bed, HEAVY HEAVY TRAILS w/ Buck Rubs. Trail Running around ridge next to bed is well used also.
*Searched Entire top of Knob for Buck Bed - NOTHING but sign
*Steep Bluff at Back.
*Wind Direction WNW?? SE?
*Stand Placement - The Red Dot - is what I could tell is the closest I could get on a windy/noisy day. Any Suggestions???

View From Bed
Last edited by <DK> on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:32 am

Then there is this area.... found it while scouting towards end of day. Access to the spot where the trials meet is ridiculous. Even tho I didn't mark them all , there is Definitely multiple Doe Beds in the area of that lower level blue line. Where the purple and yellow dots are - fond heavy doe bedding, LARGE buck tracks leading off property line. Also found a secluded bed, well used, next to does, no rubs - BUT I did get that WOW FACTOR when I sat in the lone bed. Im not sure how to attack this area... But there is extremely well used trails coming from other property. I did not get to scout any - WEST across creek area - but seemed like great spot. I believe a buck is bedding in that Cedar Patch off the point across property line. Thoughts? Suggestions?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:04 am

I usually dont like to post much, mainly absorb and read... but I need any type of critiquing you guys can help me with will be put to good use. Any specific WIND DIRECTIONS for the beds i posted that you may think will be more of a cross wind? Again, anyone that has time to shoot a few PMs for mapping help would be great! I have helped a few newer guys lately, now I need some assistance before my scouting season is over. Also, everyone on here is 100% correct on Hang On Stands vs Climbers for Public Land! The more Buck Beds I find, the less relevant my climber becomes...(if I want to push the envelope).

In Closing - Just have to say thanks to Dan Infalt and the BEAST FORUM 1 more time. I took these tactics and hit the ground running. I messaged Dan the week of opening season last year - before he could tell me im on the right track and going to knock em down w my attitude - I arrowed my first trophy buck opening morning within 15 mins! One of these off seasons i will make my way up north for a Scouting Workshop. I love explaining BEAST TACTICS to friends or buddies... i like it best when they look at me like im stupid and completely disagree! ;)
Gotta say - THANKS AGAIN!!! Here is mt first BEAST KILL:
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:55 am

BUMP

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:42 am

since its all hill country, beds will be very specific to what the wind is doing.

If you can draw a predominate wind direction arrow on your topi maps it will make it a lot easier to mark up bedding and stand suggestions
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 am

Jeff G wrote:since its all hill country, beds will be very specific to what the wind is doing.

If you can draw a predominate wind direction arrow on your topi maps it will make it a lot easier to mark up bedding and stand suggestions

WNW/ NNW / SSE is what im scouting
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:28 am

Is north the top of your maps?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:58 pm

Jeff G wrote:Is north the top of your maps?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Yes they all are

[ Post made via Android ] Image
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:05 am

Awesome DAN! That opened my eyes a bit for sure. Thanks for taking the time, So Any opinions on this intel? Small bucks? rut beds?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:54 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Awesome DAN! That opened my eyes a bit for sure. Thanks for taking the time, So Any opinions on this intel? Small bucks? rut beds?

Im thinking that low buck bed near the does may be a rut bed. I think the low rubs may be "j" hooking to the beds in the am... Its sterio-typical of bed hunting in hills. One pc of advice is keep looking. You need to keep hitting fresh spots. Most spots don't pan out and the more you sit there the worse they get... Don't stop moving, and don't be afraid to throw a stand at a spot just to see what happens.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:12 pm

dan wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:Awesome DAN! That opened my eyes a bit for sure. Thanks for taking the time, So Any opinions on this intel? Small bucks? rut beds?

Im thinking that low buck bed near the does may be a rut bed. I think the low rubs may be "j" hooking to the beds in the am... Its sterio-typical of bed hunting in hills. One pc of advice is keep looking. You need to keep hitting fresh spots. Most spots don't pan out and the more you sit there the worse they get... Don't stop moving, and don't be afraid to throw a stand at a spot just to see what happens.

Yes sir, on the specific pic u edited for me, yes I believe that rub line is a J Hook and rut rubline together bc of the lower elevation does, unfortunately its pushing boundary lines. I am going in hard this next week and finishing up my properties. the farmers aRE getting ancy around here. I figure I can get 2 sits per spot for different winds (assuming I don't spook any). But plain and simple, if you were scouting and found this intel, are these spots something you would be excited about or hit it even harder scouting? Do some of those rubs in beds seem large enough? Seems like the beds on points and higher elevations are not "dug in" as much as the lower ones. Am I just not finding those good beds or does that statement hold water? I feel like a couple are decent but not textbook setups bc of boundaries, but im gonna keep scouting beds till I cant take the bugs anymore.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”