Veteran BEAST Help Needed - Beds Found - Hill Country

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Veteran BEAST Help Needed - Beds Found - Hill Country

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:17 pm

Its hard to say without looking at it. A buck can shift around beds in a small area a lot and none of the beds look great, but still be there on a regular basis... Based on your notes, yes, I would look forward to hunting that spot, just saying that I have seen a lot of guys starting out get really excited about a couple spots and when they don't pan out it takes there steam away... The majority of our hunts don't pan out. And thats me, Stan, Andrae, etc... You gotta throw enough stands at good spots to get a buck to drop... Its a solid spot im sure...

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:26 am

dan wrote:Its hard to say without looking at it. A buck can shift around beds in a small area a lot and none of the beds look great, but still be there on a regular basis... Based on your notes, yes, I would look forward to hunting that spot, just saying that I have seen a lot of guys starting out get really excited about a couple spots and when they don't pan out it takes there steam away... The majority of our hunts don't pan out. And thats me, Stan, Andrae, etc... You gotta throw enough stands at good spots to get a buck to drop... Its a solid spot im sure...

Ok thanks for your time Dan, great stuff. Last thing - Rubs directly in beds - are they often slightly lower on the tree than the taller ones you find on great rub lines? Every primary rub I find directly in the bed seems to just be low, even larger diameter trees... thanks again
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:39 am

Thanks, Great stuff Dan!
mhill

Unread postby mhill » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:32 pm

dan wrote:Image

Hey Dan why did you suggest hunting the out skirts of the main activity area instead of hunting near the area on the bottom right of the picture?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Bowtech D350
Axcel Accutouch
Goldtip Velocity 300
Grim Reapers
XOP Enforcer
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:22 pm

Hey Dan why did you suggest hunting the out skirts of the main activity area instead of hunting near the area on the bottom right of the picture?

Thermals and wind swirls would likely kill your hunt down there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”