Flatland elevation bedding

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Flatland elevation bedding

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:45 am

They reuse beds but not very consistently. 1 Buck I've been chasing for a couple years that I refer to as stickers seldom uses the same bedding area day after day and I've never seen him use the same bed 2 days in a row. But the area I hunt 80% of it is what most of you would consider very thick great bedding area. They bed all over these bedding areas. You cannot walk 20 yards in some of them due to all the fallen timber and thorn thickets.

Note: I edited post due to autcorrection making a confusing mess

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by DaveT1963 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:06 am

DaveT1963 wrote:They reuse beds but not very consistently. 1 Buck I've been chasing for a couple years that I refer to is stickers seldom uses the same bedding area day after day and I've never seen him use the same bed 2 days in a row. But the area I hunt 80% of it is what most of you would consider very thick great bedding area. They need all over these bedding areas. You cannot walk 20 yards in some of them due to ask the fallen timber and thorn thickets.

yeah...lot of the same terrain here. Bloody hands just about every scouting trip. Thorns, blackberry bushes, green briar, rose bushes....sometimes its ..."how they heck do I make it through that stuff?"
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:30 am

DaveT1963 wrote:They reuse beds but not very consistently. 1 Buck I've been chasing for a couple years that I refer to as stickers seldom uses the same bedding area day after day and I've never seen him use the same bed 2 days in a row. But the area I hunt 80% of it is what most of you would consider very thick great bedding area. They bed all over these bedding areas. You cannot walk 20 yards in some of them due to all the fallen timber and thorn thickets.

This is the case where I hunt. I've hardly ever hunted a specific bed just bedding areas. I set up on entrance or exit trails or staging areas on the edges of bedding.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:15 am

Hooks1 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:They reuse beds but not very consistently. 1 Buck I've been chasing for a couple years that I refer to as stickers seldom uses the same bedding area day after day and I've never seen him use the same bed 2 days in a row. But the area I hunt 80% of it is what most of you would consider very thick great bedding area. They bed all over these bedding areas. You cannot walk 20 yards in some of them due to all the fallen timber and thorn thickets.

This is the case where I hunt. I've hardly ever hunted a specific bed just bedding areas. I set up on entrance or exit trails or staging areas on the edges of bedding.

I don't hunt a lot of specific beds either...but I definitely try to locate them just so that it helps know exactly where they are.

I am not against it though :D
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:51 am

here is what I usually see happen. I find the beds at a spot - a primary bed. Turns out to be a common spot hunters go to first few days of season. So I purposely hunt a secondary spot because they run the deer out of his bed before they even get setup in the am.

Then they wonder why they did not see anything because they do not know there is a bed in there and should back off a little.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:01 am

A single well used bed is a rare thing... They exist, but most of the time mature bucks move multiple times when thermals and air currents change and bed different for each wind. My best bedding areas have a lot of beds in about an acre size area. Some smaller, some bigger... I still look at the beds, and determine which ones are dominant, which ones are satellite, and which ones are for which wind... Cause this helps me understand how to access and how close I can get.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:55 am

dan wrote:A single well used bed is a rare thing... They exist, but most of the time mature bucks move multiple times when thermals and air currents change and bed different for each wind. My best bedding areas have a lot of beds in about an acre size area. Some smaller, some bigger... I still look at the beds, and determine which ones are dominant, which ones are satellite, and which ones are for which wind... Cause this helps me understand how to access and how close I can get.

And that has been my observation as well. Bedding areas with beds spread throughout. Found another one this weekend with a shed antler in it. Browse on the outside. Clearcut on the backside. Water 100 yds away. Typically, where I find one bed, I find more. This one had LOT of beds. Here in the Northeast, this usually means I try to figure where the deer is headed when he leaves that bed. And then hunt that bedding area.

The one I found this weekend will take some observation to figure out how the deer are using it. Good thing...GREAT spot to observe. Very easily spotting at night, trailcams and observing with binos, should be able to determine who is there and who is using.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”