Random Buck

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JMAR85

Random Buck

Unread postby JMAR85 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:02 pm

hey guys, I'm relatively new to the beast and have been enjoying it so far. I've had a question on my mind since this passed season and would like some opinions on it. I was watching a piece of public ground last year and hung some cameras up right after spring gobbler went out in late May. I had gotten some good pictures throughout the summer and had two bucks that I was really looking forward to hunting come the season. While checking cameras in mid August I saw that some apple trees in a secluded meadow were absolutely loaded with apples and decided to take an evening when the wind was right (I had a full proof entry and exit) to see what was taking advantage of the apple crop. I was pleasantly surprised to see a buck come out that I could not identify and was also bigger than anything I had seen so far in the area. And after that evening, the next time I checked my cameras it was like he was the star of the show. I had many pictures of him. I'm sad to say that I did not kill him, I screwed up on him opening night (what can I say I'm an amateur...) My question is, has anyone ever seen this happen where a buck seemingly comes out of nowhere (aside from the rut)???

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

DaHunter

Re: Random Buck

Unread postby DaHunter » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:25 pm

Yeah, it's more common than you think. Bucks shift big time in late summer and early fall as they break apart from their bachelor groups and seek various food sources, better cover, does, etc. If he lived, he'll probably be back at the same apple tree on or around the same days/week this season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:23 pm

I was going to say the same thing as Dahunter. Mark that date on your calendar and you might just get another crack at him this year. We got one in KY that we have on cam from late Aug to mid of Oct then he disapears three years in a row. He is on my cousins early season hit list this year.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:52 pm

That's really cool. Thanks for the info! I'd love to get another crack at him.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:45 pm

I would be placing some cameras in and around those apple trees this summer. Check when the conditions are only right. Like others have mentioned, watch for him to show up around the same time frame as he did last year. Its hard to beat a secluded apple tree that produces great amounts. Especially early season.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:39 am

Throw some fertilizer spikes around that apple tree this spring!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:06 am

JMAR85 wrote:hey guys, I'm relatively new to the beast and have been enjoying it so far. I've had a question on my mind since this passed season and would like some opinions on it. I was watching a piece of public ground last year and hung some cameras up right after spring gobbler went out in late May. I had gotten some good pictures throughout the summer and had two bucks that I was really looking forward to hunting come the season. While checking cameras in mid August I saw that some apple trees in a secluded meadow were absolutely loaded with apples and decided to take an evening when the wind was right (I had a full proof entry and exit) to see what was taking advantage of the apple crop. I was pleasantly surprised to see a buck come out that I could not identify and was also bigger than anything I had seen so far in the area. And after that evening, the next time I checked my cameras it was like he was the star of the show. I had many pictures of him. I'm sad to say that I did not kill him, I screwed up on him opening night (what can I say I'm an amateur...) My question is, has anyone ever seen this happen where a buck seemingly comes out of nowhere (aside from the rut)???

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I call it the "Dallas" method. Dallas is my best friend ...known him since childhood. We laugh about his "method" ..but it has proven effective. He has killed a few bucks over the past few seasons doing this. Which is....he does not know where the bucks bed. He only wants to get them coming in daylight. So he runs a bunch of cameras on apple trees all over the place. He does very little offseason scouting basically depends on getting a big buck to show up to an apple tree during daylight and then move in to kill it. If a good buck does not show up...he shrugs his shoulders, oh well. Keeps on running cams. This season turned out to be a bust. He had no big bucks showing up in daylight. It takes a bit of luck as most of us do not get big bucks showing up on random apple trees during daylight.

He also killed a buck in 2012...we had no idea there was even a buck using that apple tree. He has hunted opening morning for a few seasons and always killed does.
JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:21 am

That's awesome. I'll have to try that.

JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:24 am

Do you think it'd be worth finding his bed this winter? Would he use the same bed if he came back this year?

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:05 am

JMAR85 wrote:Do you think it'd be worth finding his bed this winter? Would he use the same bed if he came back this year?

That is not the method I use...I always want to know where he is bedding. I spend a TON of time scouting offseason and during the season to find beds and bedding areas. I try not to leave anything to chance. I want to know where multiple bucks are, where they bed, where they feed. I never count on anything being the same when it comes to the next season where I hunt. Mainly, because many of the deer get killed the previous year and what spot is hot one year, is not the next. What happens when the apple tree your hunting does not produce? I like to over-prepare and under-hunt.

Most of the spots he killed these bucks from were super easy to access spots where you get the wind in your favor, your good. Heck one buck crossed a tar road to get to the apples.

I am not that lucky so basically its all hard work. I run 2x as many cameras, do 10x the work, scout 100s and 100s of acres and still does not always workout. He was poking fun at me in 2014 when he killed 2 beauties in Maine and I came up empty handed. At the end of the season, he looked at me with a smirk and said "Not sure why you work so hard".
JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”