Puzzle pieces or a smoke screen?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbunao
500 Club

Puzzle pieces or a smoke screen?

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:48 am

Last week I went into some public and tried to back track a large set of tracks. While doing this I ran across a dozen of so rubs (all on hemlocks with a diameter of 10-14in) These rubs were all leading towards the east part of the public land.
Today I went back to where I followed the tracks to a bedding area where I found a few doe beds. Coming off this point and heading NW I began to run into the same sized hemlocks torn apart. These rubs were all leading NW and was quite easy to follow. The came off the 1/3 line and cut diagonally to the head of a creek. As soon as you leave the large hemlock stand all rubs vanish. So with finding what I guess to be the same deer's rub line going in two different directions do you think his bed is in the middle somewhere? I am guessing it's the same deer due to the lack of maturity in Ny's public as well as finding similar large tracks. The middle is a large hemlock stand with tons of blow downs. I first ran into today's rubs where the blow downs created a funnel. Should I go back and focus on this middle area picking every blow down on a small point apart or should I focus in on a few points the the north? Thanks in advance

Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: Puzzle pieces or a smoke screen?

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:48 am

Hard to tell. I guess the first place I would check is the blow downs. Hard to tell. Hopefully someone can help that had experience hunting areas like this. I remember seeing a thread a couple days ago about hunting blow downs and tornado struck areas. Might help checking up on that.

Good luck to ya

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Joe™
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:20 pm

I think you and i hunt the same general type of terrain. I would say he's probably bedding in those blowdowns quite a bit. He's probably entering them along one rub line and exiting along the other. I have a similar type blowdown area I hunt and the thing I've seen is they dont always bed near the same blowdown....they just bed in the area. Kinda like they just pick a blowdown as theyre walking through and lay down next to it. Its probably all based off of wind direction, but I find it easier to hunt just on the outside of these areas. Get as close to the edge of the blowdown area as you can without being seen by something that may be bedded near the edge. I'd say if you can follow those rub lines and figure out where he is dumping in and out of the blowdown area...you'll be in business
I take my Bowhunting seriously
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:46 pm

Mathewshooter wrote:I think you and i hunt the same general type of terrain. I would say he's probably bedding in those blowdowns quite a bit. He's probably entering them along one rub line and exiting along the other. I have a similar type blowdown area I hunt and the thing I've seen is they dont always bed near the same blowdown....they just bed in the area. Kinda like they just pick a blowdown as theyre walking through and lay down next to it. Its probably all based off of wind direction, but I find it easier to hunt just on the outside of these areas. Get as close to the edge of the blowdown area as you can without being seen by something that may be bedded near the edge. I'd say if you can follow those rub lines and figure out where he is dumping in and out of the blowdown area...you'll be in business

Thanks outdoor814

Yea I agree Mathewshooter that you and I hunting similar terrain.
I was kind of figuring that that is what I needed to do but was unsure of the situation. I failed to mention that near a lot of these rubs were rubs on similar trees from years past. The main point closest to the 1/3 line has an interesting blowdown situation that I will draw up and put up tomorrow. Thanks for the input

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”