I am out of shape! Good day in woods.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: I am out of shape! Good day in woods.

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:48 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:That would be UPman hunting in South Jersey...I think this is what you were referring to.
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27686&hilit=tidal+marshes

I think that's it... Any relevance?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I probably will use the marsh tidal river to access spots if scouting tells me where I need to be. Chatted with a guy tonight who has hunted that area, floated into it with a canoe. He no longer lives here anymore. So more than likely, if the sign dictates, I would use a canoe to access. So in that case, it would be similar. The difference with South Jersey would be the sheer number of deer. Many of those regions have 50+ deer per sq mile. This area probably has 15-20 tops. I have a lot more scouting to do before I make any decisions. Really not sure how much I will even hunt it this year. More or less, do a lot of scouting. Need to learn if any good bucks are calling this place home in 2016.

I am very sure tidal marshes themselves are great in some areas. Just this one, the marsh itself does not seem to be a big draw.

I notice a lot of similarities in common with some of you guys. Many of you have a number of properties all in various stages of scouting and learning. Some are known big buck spots with hours and hours of time invested into them. Others are spots that are some time invested, but in the early stages of scouting and work. And others are totally brandnew, first year on them. There is always something new to look at. For me, it really keeps me in fresh areas when I sense one area has gone cold.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:36 am

Marsh with conifers bordering or within 1/4 have most always = good sign...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:13 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Marsh with conifers bordering or within 1/4 have most always = good sign...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Was back in this spot again today...next step is to get some landowner access. Need the access to get to some apple trees that are back in the cover. Really cannot access them with the wind any other way. Place really looks very good. I must have seen 200 piles of deer droppings today. Bunch more rubs and some ground scrapes. Deer are feeding in the cutover hard.

Once I put some cameras in come August...this place could ratchet up a few notches as far as my goto spots.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:40 am

And to top it all off? Had 2 ticks crawling on me. Man I hate those things.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”