Snow Scout- perfect for buck tracking / bedding

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Snow Scout- perfect for buck tracking / bedding

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:58 am

My swamps and marshes contain year around bedding... even in the heat of the summer. Pressure bedding? Sure, when the transients show up. But there are always locals here and there the entire year. With an inch of fresh snow last night on top of several inches of old snow, I knew that I would be able to see super fresh tracks and the older tracks that are somewhat filled in as well.

The plan? I drove to a swamp that I have never hunted after looking it over with aerial maps. On the way in I encountered a couple of different groups of small game hunters on the high ground adjacent to the swamp. There are always guns going off here and human presence... pretty much the entire year.

After grabbing my gear I began walking the edge of the swamp, right where it butts up to the hardwoods and high ground. The first 3/4 of a mile I cut some old tracks and some fresh new tracks from does and fawns, maybe a small buck... but nothing to get too excited about. Finally I cut a track that belonged to a 3 year old that was fresh from this morning.

The track took me out into the swamp and I had to duck numerous tagalders before moving into and out of a patch of cattails. Walking further into the swamp I could see what appeared to be a small island with a few hardwoods ahead. The buck circled downwind of it and I was surprised when he didn't hook toward it. He continued on and I could see a much larger Island ahead. I was again approaching on his backtrail from down wind. When I first set foot on the island I did not see a bed right away... so I quietly nosed forward.

Bingo, there he is!! He ran right at me and broke hard off of my right shoulder and into deep swamp... this happens to me quite a bit, I am approaching from where they really want to escape to so they run right at me before angling off- I really get a kick out of it when they do this! :lol: Last year I had a female hunter with me that I was showing the ropes to and when the big boy charged right at us before breaking hard off my left shoulder her eyes were :shock: , good stuff! The bed was on a small knoll that rose well above the surrounding ground.

I noted a much larger bed on the knoll from a bigger buck that had bedded there within the last week, likely when the prevailing wind direction was the wind of the day. Multiple bucks use this small bedding knoll. Will bucks bedded here bed there next deer season? No doubt about it. The beds are dented in the ground and solid, "black dirt" with no vegetation. I paid close attention to the new and old tracks in the snow, the direction they faced which indicated entry or exit from the bedding area. Before picking out some trees to hunt, I noted these rubs 15 feet off of the knoll:

A productive scout, indeed.

jmaas07
500 Club

Re: Snow Scout- perfect for buck tracking / bedding

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:03 am

Good stuff sb, another spot added to the library

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:10 am

Very cool! Was that buck still carrying his antlers? Im going on a 3 day shed -scouting trip this weekend.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:20 am

Good job SB. 8-)

I always shake my head when I hear people say scouting before snowmelt is a waste of time because all you will find is winter beds. This time of the year it can be so easy it's almost ridiculous. Cut a fresh large track in the snow and and either backtrack or follow it right to the bed depending on the time of day. Thinking back over the years most of the primary beds I have found were in January/February and they have yielded me so many great buck sightings in fall.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:30 am

Dewey wrote:Good job SB. 8-)

I always shake my head when I hear people say scouting before snowmelt is a waste of time because all you will find is winter beds. This time of the year it can be so easy it's almost ridiculous. Cut a fresh large track in the snow and and either backtrack or follow it right to the bed depending on the time of day. Thinking back over the years most of the primary beds I have found were in January/February and they have yielded me so many great buck sightings in fall.

Really depends on the area Dewey. We have areas that are void of deer right now, where other areas have deer that wont come season.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:49 am

jmaas07 wrote:Good stuff sb, another spot added to the library

Right on- we can never have enough spots.

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:50 am

Hawthorne wrote:Very cool! Was that buck still carrying his antlers? Im going on a 3 day shed -scouting trip this weekend.

No antlers visible, he shed them.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:51 am

kenn1320 wrote:

Really depends on the area Dewey. We have areas that are void of deer right now, where other areas have deer that wont come season.

That goes without saying and happens everywhere. What were looking for now is primary beds that are in secure areas and used all year round.

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:56 am

When it comes to marshes and swamps of any size in lower Michigan snow scouting can be invaluable.

One of the first hunters I ever had an in depth discussion with regarding snow scouting and back tracking many years ago was Mitch Rompola.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:58 am

Nice job bridge. Glad u got a chance to get out n enjoy the woods. Looks like you found a gem.

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:00 pm

Really enjoyed this read! Got me pumped for tomorrow!!!

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:06 pm

oldrank wrote:Nice job bridge. Glad u got a chance to get out n enjoy the woods. Looks like you found a gem.

It's the first day I've had in weeks where I could scout... It was great to be out.

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:06 pm

tbunao wrote:Really enjoyed this read! Got me pumped for tomorrow!!!

Let us know how it goes!

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:15 pm

With it being the coldest night and tomorrow being 22 degrees with a NNW wind would it be safe to say most tracks will head to a south facing slope?

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:28 pm

tbunao wrote:With it being the coldest night and tomorrow being 22 degrees with a NNW wind would it be safe to say most tracks will head to a south facing slope?

If that's all they have they may. Conifer swamps and conifer thickets provide much greater protection to deer when conditions become severe.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”