First Marsh Buck Beds?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunthard26

First Marsh Buck Beds?

Unread postby hunthard26 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:38 am

Hey guys, only my second post on here, but I have been reading up, and just got the Marsh Bucks DVD, which I have watched twice in the past 24 hours.

I think I found a few buck beds yesterday (my first ever) in a small marshy area of public land I hunt...probably about 200 acres. My only concern is that based on what I have been reading it's not your "ideal" buck bed. It was against a tree, but it was not a huge tree, only about 20-24 inches in diameter, and it was somewhat out in the open, with no other immediate cover around the tree. However, it was right next to a section of phragmites that would be nearly impossible for anything to quietly sneak through. The phragmites would be at the bucks back, behind the tree. The bed itself was huge...probably the size of a large coffee table, and it was a single bed, with another, smaller bed about 30-40 yards away. I found what I think is a third bed in the general area, that was not as obvious. So, based on what I have been reading this could be an area where a few bucks bed in close proximity, or where one buck moves based on the wind. Unfortunately, I did not get a photo, but will hopefully get some pics next weekend when I go back to the area to check my cameras. The area is nearly impossible for people to access, even with a boat. We literally crawled through thickets, briars and phragmites to get back there. Sorry to be long winded, and I know it is hard without seeing photos, but do you guys think there is a chance I may have found a buck bed?

Also, we hung two trail cameras on a heavily traveled trail coming to and from the general area. We definitely scented up the area yesterday, so I am hoping they move back in eventually. How long do you guys think I should wait to go back in and retrieve the cameras?

Wlog
500 Club

Re: First Marsh Buck Beds?

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:08 am

Welcome to the Beast! Sounds like beds to me. Can't say for sure without a picture. I would probably leave the cameras until spring time unless you're worried about someone stealing them. The info you need is what buck or bucks are in the area that made it through the season. The longer you can leave them the better.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:18 pm

hunthard26 wrote:Hey guys, only my second post on here, but I have been reading up, and just got the Marsh Bucks DVD, which I have watched twice in the past 24 hours.

I think I found a few buck beds yesterday (my first ever) in a small marshy area of public land I hunt...probably about 200 acres. My only concern is that based on what I have been reading it's not your "ideal" buck bed. It was against a tree, but it was not a huge tree, only about 20-24 inches in diameter, and it was somewhat out in the open, with no other immediate cover around the tree. However, it was right next to a section of phragmites that would be nearly impossible for anything to quietly sneak through. The phragmites would be at the bucks back, behind the tree. The bed itself was huge...probably the size of a large coffee table, and it was a single bed, with another, smaller bed about 30-40 yards away. I found what I think is a third bed in the general area, that was not as obvious. So, based on what I have been reading this could be an area where a few bucks bed in close proximity, or where one buck moves based on the wind. Unfortunately, I did not get a photo, but will hopefully get some pics next weekend when I go back to the area to check my cameras. [glow=red]The area is nearly impossible for people to access, even with a boat.[/glow] We literally crawled through thickets, briars and phragmites to get back there. Sorry to be long winded, and I know it is hard without seeing photos, but do you guys think there is a chance I may have found a buck bed?

Also, we hung two trail cameras on a heavily traveled trail coming to and from the general area. We definitely scented up the area yesterday, so I am hoping they move back in eventually. How long do you guys think I should wait to go back in and retrieve the cameras?

I agree with Wlog it is probably a bed. What really makes me think that is because of the sentence I highlighted. If they're not pressured all that much, you'd be surprised where they'll bed.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:15 pm

Its certainly a bed... Now the magic question is when exactly is he using it?
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:46 am

Easiest beds to find in our neck of the woods in my opinion. The big woods beds are the ones that will have you scratching your head. Due to the heavy root mat or duff layer on the ground its really hard to asses a really worn bed b/c you never hit bare dirt its also what makes it really difficult to find a nice track or you just won't see it at all.
Just remember phrag is a deer magnet. Near the marsh you'll find beds on the transition from woods to phrag all day long. If you run into a scenario where you find a single tree or group of trees out in the middle of the phrag away from the transition get your waders on and find the trail that leads to it and plow through and that's where you'll find what your really looking for. Those interior beds are less wind dependent but most time right at last shooting light the thermals will start to pull your scent right towards the bed. makes it interesting. Allot of the time I'll see the does bedding on the transition if there is a buck bed interior. Its like an early warning for the buck. You must be poking around the east side of Sussex. Keep in mind if that spot was easy to get to take advantage of it early season b/c its no secret come shotgun season. One of the biggest problems with public in Delaware is that its awful easy to get to some good spots so strike early. I know its pretty un appealing when its 98 degrees opening day of archery but burn those spots up early and hit them again come pre-rut/rut and see how they pan out. Good luck.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
hunthard26

Unread postby hunthard26 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:03 am

Thanks for the responses! After scouring the forum and internet for pics similar to what I saw on Saturday, I'm 100% confident I found a buck bed. I think I'm going to let the cameras sit for a few weeks before heading back in and maybe try and slip in very quickly and quietly to switch out my SD cards.

Bigburner, I actually pushed through a section of phrags where there were a few very subtle trails, which ended up leading right past a downed tree that had fallen in the phrags. Are you saying that could also be a buck bed? If so, should I maybe look for an ambush spot where those trails dump into the woods?
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:47 am

No. not saying the fallen tree is a buck bed. Not to say it couldn't but if it was you would see the ground matted down with some hair or maybe poop there.
I mean stuff like this. where you a have a tree with a big enough root mass to hold a bed where there would otherwise be standing water surrounding it.
If you see a small tree in the middle of what otherwise looks like a sea of phrag, Go check it out. The only way you're going to start narrowing down what is and what isn't is by getting in there. just be careful. not much of a bottom to most of those places.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
hunthard26

Unread postby hunthard26 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:32 am

Thanks for those pics Bigburner! That helps a lot. Have not seen anything like that in the specific area I am talking about, but now I know what to look for. Cameras are still marinating over there. Man It's tough not going and pulling those cards, but I'm hoping the payoff is worth it. I'll be sure to post after I check those first few cams and let everyone know what happens.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”