Trail markers

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Trail markers

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:47 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I actually ran across a ladder stand two weekends ago where the dude had marked a trail with bright orange spray paint on the trees going and coming????? Guess he was not worried about someone finding or taking his stand (which was still up two months after season closed).

I never mark my trail - work to dang hard to find a good spot without publicizing it. I only put one tack and that is way up the tree at hunting height and it is a brown reflective tack that you have to be pretty close and shining up to see. It helps me find my stand in the pre morning darkness when I have not been there in a while. I use my phone GPS to get me close then hit the tack with my red lens headlamp if needed to find the exact tree (they shine better with red light for some reason). It also helps me ensure I hook my saddle up at the right height for the shooting lanes I prepped long ago.

I do the same with some surveyors tape. Most people don't look up.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:02 pm

I pulled 3 tacks today. People need to pick the stuff up cause junk is everywhere. It also amazes me how easily people must get lost.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:13 pm

Hard to believe there are that many domestic pigs in the wild.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:24 pm

Went out this evening and found two more ladder stands. One guy had Flo orange ribbons I promise every 4-5 foot. Do these guys really lack that much woodsmanship?????

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:07 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:Went out this evening and found two more ladder stands. One guy had Flo orange ribbons I promise every 4-5 foot. Do these guys really lack that much woodsmanship?????

yes :?
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:27 am

Not sure about those WMAs but there are also a lot of workers that use flagging. I have seen them, mostly invasive plant removal down here. They will have a dozen or more workers fan out and swath entire areas and they leave more flagging tape than you can imagine.

Also, the flag tape I buy and see most places sold now a days is 'biodegradable'. I only use flag tape rarely and I remove it on my way out. You know those kinds of swamps where you have to hit the exact trail coming out unless you want to swim...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:40 pm

I see a lot of flagging being used for the younger hunter. Not ever parent can afford a gps for their kids. Just saying.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:48 pm

Findian wrote:I see a lot of flagging being used for the younger hunter. Not ever parent can afford a gps for their kids. Just saying.

I was a single dad and i taught both my daughter's to hunt and there wasn't even a such thing as GPS or cell phones.... Never had to leave flagging every two feet. Of course I walked then to their stand and I would have never left the flagging in the woods two months after the season.... Just sayin

Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:17 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:
Findian wrote:I see a lot of flagging being used for the younger hunter. Not ever parent can afford a gps for their kids. Just saying.

I was a single dad and i taught both my daughter's to hunt and there wasn't even a such thing as GPS or cell phones.... Never had to leave flagging every two feet. Of course I walked then to their stand and I would have never left the flagging in the woods two months after the season.... Just sayin

So you can leave up one tack up in a tree for a long period of time but someone can't leave a flagging trail up? Not everyone is woods smart or have a gps. Plus life happens after or before hunting season and some people can't get back to the area.

IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:59 pm

It's not allowed on the federal land I hunt, so I pull every one. I also report every illegal stand I find (screw in steps or +72 hours). Corps land is more lenient on restrictions, so I don't tend to worry much there. But, if I can spend enough time figuring out how to find my stand with a 1:45 drive, wife and kid, and a job that takes me out of state 14-20 days a month.... So can the other guys. I'm not too bothered by the brite eyes unless it looks like runway lights, only then will I take them down. I usually have one of those little Gatorade bottles that gets emptied pretty quick, and I pack the thing with tape till it feels like a brick on a full day scouting trip.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:08 am

I skimmed this all again so I'm sorry if I repeat someone else, but toilet paper was mentioned early on. That's what I use for blood trailing. Don't have to worry about picking it up.

It's always a good idea to have some t.p. in your vehicle anyway!

Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:19 am

Lockdown wrote:I skimmed this all again so I'm sorry if I repeat someone else, but toilet paper was mentioned early on. That's what I use for blood trailing. Don't have to worry about picking it up.

It's always a good idea to have some t.p. in your vehicle anyway!

This is the way to go, been doing this for over 50 years.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:29 am

I use them, but I don't put them every 10 yards, and I use a code based on the type and color. I am not worried about getting lost, I don't want to get off my entry and exit route and get scent in the wrong spots, and thats very easy to do at night.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:53 am

PK_ wrote:Not sure about those WMAs but there are also a lot of workers that use flagging. I have seen them, mostly invasive plant removal down here. They will have a dozen or more workers fan out and swath entire areas and they leave more flagging tape than you can imagine.

Also, the flag tape I buy and see most places sold now a days is 'biodegradable'. I only use flag tape rarely and I remove it on my way out. You know those kinds of swamps where you have to hit the exact trail coming out unless you want to swim...

Swimming is right, took this individual out with me one time to Green Swamp and we crossed the shallow part of the creek. It was about 1 ft deep. Well coming back he decides not to take the shallow part. All I heard was a splash :lol: . He tried to cross where the water was 6 ft deep. Everything got wet. At least he got cooled off, but the next day his boots were squishing when he walked. He never did that again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”